Chinese-Forums

F --> X (and vice versa)

valikor

Hi folks

I came to China originally on an F visa, but now I have enrolled in a university (but only for a semester). They said they can issue me a X visa for 4 months (since that's how long the semester is). But, they said that they can't give me a longer period of time unless I am studying there longer (and pay the tuition).

I heard that I must go to Hong Kong to switch from F to X (by getting a L visa in HK, then coming back and switching it to a Z). But the school said it can be done all in Beijing.

I was also told that my current F visa cannot be extended again (the school told me this), but I expect that a visa agency could still give me a new F visa?

I don' really get the sense that the person at the school knows what he's talking about and I have heard many contradictory things...

any clarification would be helpful!

David

They said they can issue me a X visa for 4 months

As far as I know you can't get issued an X visa for less than 6 months. Study for 6 months or less is always issued an F visa.

You won't be able to extend your current visa for that long, but you should be able to get a new F visa. It's possible you'll have to go to HK to get it. Ask if any agents will do it for you.

I don' really get the sense that the person at the school knows what he's talking about and I have heard many contradictory things...

I have found several times that the person "handling visas" at various schools knows how to go about getting your student visa for you, but they are not well versed in all the ins and outs and pros and cons of the many different kinds of visas. They know how to do only that one thing. Really not too surprising, when you think about it, since it is kind of specialized field.

• 2 weeks later...

Fanglu, what you said seems to be correct, according to info on the website of the Chinese embassay (to the US), as well as several visa agencies (online).

But, they today told me that my last day of classes will be on July 10th, and that my visa will expire on that day. They asked if that was okay.

Personally I think it's BS. I specifically asked if it would be a student visa, and they said yes. They also said that if I were to pay more tuition money NOW, I can take classes until a later date, and my visa can extend until that date. How convenient!

I am on the verge of telling them that I am not interested in playing games, and that I'll just go to a visa agency and get another F visa.

I know its a long shot, but if anyone has any suggestions, let me know. Can't hurt to ask :)

EDIT: Meanwhile, my visa expires in two weeks. Wonderful!

But, they today told me that my last day of classes will be on July 10th, and that my visa will expire on that day. They asked if that was okay.

Last year I used a student visa (X) from my school for spring semester. Semester ended about the same time as yours (first third of July,) but the student visa they issued was good until the end of August.

But, they said that they can't give me a longer period of time unless I am studying there longer (and pay the tuition).

I would guess this is just the school's own policy decision and not Chinese law. Not sure how you can get them to change their mind or if it is even possible.