Chinese-Forums

Freegate VPN and Youtube

putonghua73

Freegate works perfectly well as a Firewall - although I need to find a linux version to work with Ubuntu because Windows is proving (yet again) to being a soul-destroying experience of trying to get drivers and software updates to work.

Lo and behold, I discover that there is an issue with Youtube. When accessing via Freegate, I receive a message informing me that due to the high volume from my network, I need to enter in a verification code. Odd, this wasn't required yesterday, but let's roll with it.

50 minutes later of entering verification code after code, I am no nearer towards watching Basement Jaxx - 'Oh My Gosh' (my dating / going out track) because it would appear that irrespective of how many times I enter a correct code, Youtube refuses to authenticate.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm hoping it's just Youtube being flaky and that normal service will be resumed. If not, looks like I have to consider alternative options because I didn't bring any music with me (CDs or MP3s - netbook doesn't have a CD player).

Cheers!

Freegate isn't a firewall! It's almost the opposite!

It's a proxy. But not a very reliable one.

Your inability to get into into Youtube, is more likely to be a browser issue. Are you using Firefox?

Hi all,

Yep, VPN NOT firewall (what was I thinking?) - last time I checked, Youtube was working as per normal (via Opera - as I STILL have issues with FF) so looks like it was a Youtube issue.

Had a good night in the end, even though the Japanese / Chinese chick whom I like didn't come out and play (teacher issue) as I found my other female friend a decent Chinese guy.

Oh, and I got to listen to 'Oh My Gosh' via Youtube, so problem solved it would seem.

Cheers