Chinese-Forums

i think the best way to study Chinese is

Chinese Friends

Definitely.

Here's another trick:

Listen to Chinese music while you sleep. You may wake up knowing new phrases and expressions! Or slang, depending on the style of music it is.

Hmmm... well actually I'm not sure about that.

Anyways, music and movies!

Alveranter, Why not buy some chinese films online?

http://www.yesasia.com/ sells a good selection of Chinese books and entertainment (in addition to Japanese and Korean). Plus, I think they even accept the Swedish Kronor since I see an option at the bottom of the page to select your reference currency and the Kronor is one of them.

• 2 weeks later...

first of all, seems the chinese enviroment (where people speak chinese) will help you go through it. I live in indonesia where most chinese only know how to speak bahasa.

I speak chinese mother language (but not zhongwen), that is 'tio ciu' in the family. But when you go right to the working enviroment, then you gotta be ready in speaking bahasa.

Then, from the personal experience, i learn zhongwen mostly from music and movies. It does help. One more, asking my parents will be the first place for learning mandarin, but since I live far from them, then i would be just satisfied by learning it by myself.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

If you really want to learn a language, you should work hard at it. The "listen to Chinese pop and watch Chinese TV and go to Chinatown" answer implies that you can learn a language by being lazy. So although those things have their place and are certainly better than nothing (but let's remember to the beginner they are fairly useless), it isn't good advice.

• 2 weeks later...

Woodcutter:

The "listen to Chinese pop and watch Chinese TV and go to Chinatown" answer implies that you can learn a language by being lazy.

Man your are right. Xian-zai wo xue putong-hua. and it is hard work. I did watch Ju Dou and liked it immensly but I picked up only a smattering of words. Can't really call it too too useful.

Mostly, I just follow three books (so as not to get bored with just one). I have a laoshi and I spend an hour each with two other native putonghua speakers. It's just sheer hard work. Just watching movie ain't gonna do it. I do like to take that excuse to watch LI Gong. My gawd, what a beautiful woman!