Chinese-Forums

Considering 所+verb

DrWatson

This is an interesting one. I could be wrong, but I think "harm" is the head noun, since it follows 所. If I am correct, the translation would be: "..., as well as other harm brought on by difficult to diagnose problems.

Again, I could be wrong.

You're correct (although I would apply "other" differently).

我是指射頻污染、干擾,以及其他難以診斷的問題所帶來的損害,以及減少連接的可靠性和完整性。

"I am referring to radio pollution & interference, as well as the losses and reduction of connection reliability and integrity caused by other hard-to-diagnose problems."

This is an interesting one. I could be wrong, but I think "harm" is the head noun, since it follows 所. If I am correct, the translation would be: "..., as well as other harm brought on by difficult to diagnose problems.

Again, I could be wrong.

You're correct (although I would apply "other" differently).

"I am referring to radio pollution & interference, as well as the losses and reduction of connection reliability and integrity caused by other hard-to-diagnose problems."

My original thought was that 所帶來的損害 was the head noun (rather than just 損害), and that all the things before it (射頻污染、干擾,以及其他難以診斷的問題) were subordinate to it. Is there any sense in this? If so, it could be translated as:

"I am referring to the harms brought on by radio pollution, [radio] interference, and other hard-to-diagnose problems, as well as the reduction in the reliability and integrity of the connection."

My original thought was that 所帶來的損害 was the head noun (rather than just 損害), and that all the things before it (射頻污染、干擾,以及其他難以診斷的問題) were subordinate to it. Is there any sense in this?

That does make more sense, on second thought.

If so, it could be translated as:

"I am referring to the harms brought on by radio pollution, [radio] interference, and other hard-to-diagnose problems, as well as the reduction in the reliability and integrity of the connection."

But I'm not so sure about this. I think 損害 and 減少連接的可靠性和完整性 are on the same level:

我是指 [(射頻污染、干擾),以及 (其他難以診斷的問題)] 所帶來的 [(損害) 以及 (減少連接的可靠性和完整性)]。

"I am referring to the losses and reduction of connection reliability and integrity caused by radio pollution/interference and other hard-to-diagnose problems."

It seems natural that 減少連接的可靠性和完整性 should also be a result of the causal phenomena earlier in the sentence: (射頻污染、干擾),以及 (其他難以診斷的問題).

That does make more sense, on second thought.

But I'm not so sure about this. I think 損害 and 減少連接的可靠性和完整性 are on the same level:

我是指 [(射頻污染、干擾),以及 (其他難以診斷的問題)] 所帶來的 [(損害) 以及 (減少連接的可靠性和完整性)]。

"I am referring to the losses and reduction of connection reliability and integrity caused by radio pollution/interference and other hard-to-diagnose problems."

It seems natural that 減少連接的可靠性和完整性 should also be a result of the causal phenomena earlier in the sentence: (射頻污染、干擾),以及 (其他難以診斷的問題).

Wow, this is getting complicated. After thinking about it for a while I think you must be right, and your last translation is a good one. I'll try and simplify it a bit, more for my own benefit than anything.

The sentence can be broken down into a basic modifier + head relationship, as follows:

我是指 [modifier: 射頻污染、干擾,以及其他難以診斷的問題所帶來] 的 [head: 損害,以及減少連接的可靠性和完整性]。

And even more simply:

A所帶來的B以及C

"B and C brought on by A".

• Like 1