Chinese-Forums

China launches oral Chinese proficiency test

AxelManbow

I saw this in People's Daily.

China launches oral Chinese proficiency test

China launched a proficiency test of spoken Chinese language to foreigners in the first batch of eight pilot provinces or cities in Tianjin, on Monday.

Participants in the test will complete seven parts in 30 minutes on computer, including reading, asking questions, repeating and other tests.

Developed by Tianjin language training and testing center, the test will target non-native Chinese population and be carried out in first eight provinces or cities, including Beijing, Tianjin, Shanghai, Jiangsu, Shangdong, Fujian, Guangxi and Chongqing.

Unfortunately the article missed out the official name so I was a bit miffed as what this actually is and don't believe I've seen anything in the forums about it (apologies if I've missed anything). Anyone else more informed?

I don't know whether this is the same as the New HSK speaking test...

http://www.chinesetesting.cn says there will be a New HSK speaking test in China on 20 June.

The test contents are somewhat similar but the New HSK speaking test has only 3 parts and the duration is less than 30'... so it may be a different test.

Also see this report (in chinese, looks like the same article as yours)

http://www.022net.com/2010/4-27/475845372552990.html

Hanban does not seem to be involved, so this points to a different test from HSK... they call it HKC.... but the date is also in June?? :conf how confusing.

Edit: Also they say there will be a full version with all 4 skills? Like a computer-based HSK with integrated speaking part?

I translated with google as I can't read so much Chinese, so I am not sure I understand correctly...

Here's more (edit: link removed, was dead) in Chinese from last year. Hadn't heard of this before. Sounds like someone else has decided to get in on the Chinese exam bandwagon, and given the mess of the last few years, good luck to them. Hundred flowers bloom and all that.

So this has been approved by the 国家语委. Which is part of the Ministry of Education. Three-way fight now. :lol:

While this all can be good, testing language is often different spoken language, very technical. =/

so this sounds like I'm screwed possibly 3 ways. I'll just sit here and cross fingers that a basic HSK 6 is the standard until I'm in my program...

does anyone know how this compares to the ACTFL OPI (Oral Proficiency Interview) that has been conducted in Mandarin (as well as Cantonese and about a million other languages) for ages? Many US schools (specially teaching programs) require the OPI and an Intermediate-high to Advanced proficiency minimum to begin teaching mandarin in K-12 schools, Businesses, grad schools, and other companies also look at OPI ratings to help determine new hires. What would be the benefit of yet another different oral proficiency test? Are there scholarships involved? Is this another way for the Han ban to steer the money their way?

• 1 month later...

Firstly, I'm sorry for being AWOL for such a long time again.

Xiamen University has been advertising this for a while now - a HKC test (汉语口语水平测试) will be held here next month. From a bit of research this seems to be a geniune proficiency test, based chiefly on spoken ability. Apart from my university's advertisement, this Xinhua article is the only authoritative information I have found so far:

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/china/2010-04/26/c_13268310.htm

This is all I've heard about the test, and heck if I know how big or small the test's authority is. Does anyone else know about it? The article doesn't go into great detail. I can't find many details on who is the biggest authority behind this, whether or not the test is worth taking, or even a score system - and it's already running? The article states that it is designed to complement the HSK test, which "cannot detect test takers who read and understand Chinese but cannot speak it". Oh no, looks like no more locking the door and reading 24/7...

The test may be being put into practice, but my money's on the test being nothing much at all. Firstly, considering the new HSK format contains speaking tests at all levels and the old one will be kicked out of most Chinese cities by next year, this test has missed dinnertime by a long shot. Furthermore, considering the lack of knowledge, understanding of the test and even a score system (I presume), I can't imagine universities or institutions would expect students to participate, let alone set a level as a requirement for degree study.

Anyone have any thoughts? Do you think this is serious or a bit of a farce? I have posted the notices received from Xiamen University via email for extra information, in Chinese only I'm afraid.

考 试 通 知

汉语口语水平测试将于2010年6月26日(星期六)在厦门大学海外教育学院举行,现将有关事宜通知如下:

一、 测试对象:母语非汉语人群及华人华裔

二、 报名时间:2010年5月24日至6月18日

报名地点:厦门大学海外教育学院办公楼311办公室

三、联系电话: 0592- 2187728

四、报名要求及注意事项:

1.每位考生须交护照复印件一份,并填写“汉语口语水平测试(HKC)报名表”一份,要求填写的姓名与护照完全一致。

2.报名时需交近期免冠正面电子版照片(像素大小为180*260左右,大小30KB以下),如没有电子版照片可在报名时由工作人员现场拍照。每位考生需交测试费共人民币380元。(2010年推广价)

3、考生在测试前两个工作日到报名地点领取准考证,并在测试前一天凭准考证参加考前培训。

考试当天请考生务必带护照和准考证。

厦门大学海外教育学院

2010年5月27日

汉语口语水平测试(HKC)的特点:

深远的社会意义:

填补了针对母语非汉语人士汉语口语测试的空白,将改变“重读写、轻听说”的现状,有利于促进汉语在世界范围内的推广。

广泛的测试人群:

突破了因汉字认读障碍导致的应试人群局限,不受年龄、职业、学历的限制,大大降低了外籍人员学习汉语的难度,也更适应不同层次应试者准确衡量自身汉语口语水平的需要,使更多的人喜欢上汉语。

多元的测试形式:

还原于实际生活交际任务,突出实用性,并采用图片、视频、录音和文字拼音相结合的方式,使测试更加生动、形象、趣味和人性化。

先进的测试手段:

运用现代信息技术,采用人机对话的互动形式、完成测试。使考试操作更加简便、快捷。

全新的测试理念:

从言语习得的规律和交际情境的实际需要出发,考察应试者汉语口语水平及能力、充分体现口语测试的交互性、任务性、真实性、开放性的特点。

Merged with what I believe to be the relevant topic - would have been hard to find by searching if you didn't know it was here. Interesting to see this being spotted in the wild.

Firstly, I'm sorry for being AWOL for such a long time again.

Will PM you court-martial details.

• 3 weeks later...

Ah... and here I was hoping someone could tell me what I had gotten myself in... But seemingly it's a brand new test. I'll post about it tomorrow and let everyone know how it went, and... well how the exam is conducted. (I'll be doing Intermediate spoken and HSK lvl 3)

erm boubou I think the test you're taking is a new, optional part of the Hanban HSK. The "oral chinese proficiency test" in this thread is different (not organised by Hanban).

There was a report of the new oral part of the Hanban HSK here.