Chinese-Forums

Getting North Korean visa while being in a foreign land.

Peng

I'll be staying in Japan from early June to the end of July and am planning to visit Mainland China and North Korea. I have no problem getting Chinese visa when there is a Chinese embassy in Japan.

I am filling North Korean application forms (part of deaf German tour) and was told that I'd need to mail my original passport to Germany, in the order to obtain North Korean visa (if my application gets accepted), in July. I'd need my passport to enter Mainland China in Aug 1st (from south to north).

I could mail it away and wait for 10 days, then get it by August 1st. But I got an impression that being a foreigner without passport in Japan is illegal. Basically, I can't hop around Japan, via train without passport. I'd be screwed by Japanese polices and thrown in jail full of Chinese triads.

Another option is that once I reach Beijing, I can get a speedy visa service, but for extra 400 RMB. It's rather too much.

Which option should I go ahead with? :help

If you ask me, 400 RMB is quite a small price to pay considering how much more convenient it would be for you...and you won't risk getting caught either. :wink:

eatfastnoodle is right, 400 RMB is negligible compared to the amount you're already going to spend travelling there.

Keep the passport. Shell out the 400 RMB. Avoid jail time.

Consider this: if you send your passport to Germany, and wind up in a Japanese jail, North Korea might not let you in due to having a jail record. If that happens, you'll have gone through all that trouble for nothing. 400 RMB may sound steep, but avoiding jail is priceless.

Let us know how it goes, k? :)

eatfastnoodle, I got summer work in Japan, but with small stipend. I already reserve my budget to spend on others like traveling between Japan and China, Chinese visa, transportations, places to stay, and stuff in China.

A speed visa service pops out of nowhere when I face this situation. Yeah, you guys are right, I realize how lame I am. I better take 400 RMB out.

You can get an "alien registration card" in Japan, then you can just carry it instead of your passport. Though it's not required for those who stay in Japan less then 90 days, you can still get even if you plan to stay for less, and then do with your passport as you please.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alien_registration_in_Japan