Chinese-Forums

Proof of Onward Travel?

Menino80

I plan on moving to China in October to study, most likely in Beijing. I'm planning on studying for about 12 weeks then looking for a job. I think I'd just get the L visa and extend it twice, then maybe have fly out to Korea once I lined up a job to get a Z visa. I'm concerned that I would need proof of onward travel to even get the L visa, and I'm not sure how to swing that if I have no intention of actually leaving until three months later instead of just one month later.

Also, if my onward travel is a month after my original entry date (for example), can I still extend the L visa past that date?

'm concerned that I would need proof of onward travel to even get the L visa, and I'm not sure how to swing that if I have no intention of actually leaving until three months later instead of just one month later.

You don't need proof of onward travel.

You're welcome. I sometimes just buy a one-way ticket instead of round trip since it seems I always wind up changing the return leg and incur penalties for doing that. I've never been asked about my onward travel plans or my return trip plans.

No guarantees, but as an American you should be able to get a one-year multiple-entry L visa, perhaps with a 90-day stay, when applying in the US. Consulate policies tend to vary a bit, so contact a couple of visa agencies -- easy to find on the web -- to verify the current situation.

No onward ticket is required to enter China, and the IATA visa database, which airline check-in clerks consult, states this. You can find it through the Delta Airlines website.

(Extensions normally cost the same as a new visa -- about US$130 for Americans -- and can be a hassle, especially in Beijing.)

Would I have to go through a visa agent to get this 90 day "L" visa, or are you just suggesting that I contact them because they have up to date info? Assuming that the policy is still in effect, I could go to the Chicago consulate and get this 90 day 'L'? Either way, thanks.

In theory, it shouldn't make a difference whether you do this yourself or through an agency. But as mentioned, some consulates are more liberal/strict than others. Given the considerable savings in time and money if you can avoid two extensions by getting a m/e one-year visa with 90-day stay, contact a few agencies first to suss out the current situation. If Chicago seems a bit tight with these visas at present, it'd be worth paying mail and agency fees to get your visa elsewhere.

(If you want to extend in Beijing, the PSB wants to see a Chinese bank account with US$100 for each day of the extension: US$3000 for a one-month extension.)