Chinese-Forums

Free Windows Dictionary -- double post from Computing

trevelyan

Double post... thought this might be relevant here too....

I've tossed together a Windows interface for the Adso database which may be of use to people here. The dictionary has about 115,000 entries, many classified according to part of speech. Usage is as simple as copying text to the clipboard and then hitting the update button.

Screenshots are available with the application and database here:

http://socrates.berkeley.edu/~david/chinese/tools.html

[/i]

Short note -- just had an inquiry about an error message (0x0000135). The problem turned out to be that their computer had an older version of Windows without the .Net Framework.

I've updated the README, but in case anyone has downloaded the previous version and had a similar problems, you can fix it easily enough by installing the Framework, available from Microsoft at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=262d25e3-f589-4842-8157-034d1e7cf3a3&displaylang=en

I'm having some trouble installing it...:(

I cannot get this step done properly:

> CREATE DATABASE adso

I type exactly and get a new mysql prompt (approximately ->) when I hit return but then when I proceed with the next steps I am told that no such database exist. Can you please help ?

Check to make sure you're logging in to MYSQL as a user with write privileges. If you create the database as user "root", for instance, you will not be able to use it if you log in as any other user (even the default). Sometimes you will not be able to create databases unless you have write access. If you are working from the default Windows install, the easiest solution is to run MySQL from the command line as:

mysql.exe -u root

This logs you in as user root, a user with default write access and the ability to create databases. Make sure the "CREATE DATABASE adso;" command also ends with a semi-colon. MySQL should give you a feedbasck line informing you that an empty database has been created.

If your problems arise after creating the database, you may want to doublecheck that your MySQL server is running when you try to access it. If these above suggestions don't answer your questions, send me a private message or email. I appreciate feedback on installation problems.