Chinese-Forums

Cedict

mandarinboy

Does anyone know if the Cedict file at Mandarintools.com is discontinued? I have mailed them several times the past weeks with no reply. I have a few hundred new entries for the file that i want to add. It is very good source for free dictionaries so I hope it is possible to still contribure to it.

I am interested too. I am using CEDICT with my NJStar Chinese word processor. I was able to get a larger CEDICT that comes with CQuickTrans (a bit of work to get this done) (www.coolest.com).

Strange - nobody wants to upgrade this dictionary - the corresponding Japanese dictionary (EDICT) is 5 times as big, at least in the file size.

Which software do you use with CEDICT?

CEDICT seems to be on hiatus. I have a dictionary that will be ready in December. PZDICT. I will be dumping multiple formats of the early drafts this weekend...

CEDICT is ok. :-) but there is a lot of strange entries that may not make sense in some context. I will have sample sentences in my dictionary lexicon. I hope I don't do a crappy job.

In fact, if you want, I can absorb CEDICT and start making corrections. ...

haha... just kidding. well, sorta.

Wish me luck.

-geek

This is maybe the second time that the Cedict editor get tired of the project. The guy who started it simply dispared withour any notice a few years ago. Mandarintools took over the project and have done a great work but now it seems impossible to get in touch with them. I have mailed them for month now and no reply.

I have written serveral free applications to take advantage of the file and also applications to enter new words to the file. I have also been thinking to start a side project to combine the words from Cedict with example sentences. For now i use them in my own on-line dicitonary to link to the stroke order for characters and also testing to add text to voice. Well, Microsofts text to voice have a long way to go before it is realy useful :roll: My intention is to be able to use the file for direct translationson on Internet pages. I have written a toolbar for Internet Exporer that can add translations to each word/character. To make this usefull i need of course as many entries as possible. Cedict is to small today so i was hoping on adding more entries.

I am testing the function on my testserver http://82.182.78.97/dictionary/Anotation.asp There are some variations of the same theme. Those functions is now converted into a toolbar for IE so that i can use it on any Chinese or japanese page.

Well i guess that i have to continue to mail them.

Cedict is to small today so i was hoping on adding more entries.

we programmers have an adage.

we also are careful of what end users wish for... because we just may do it ... which often causes us more headaches ...

i think we are almost to the point where we can start effective organization of a good engine ... i can only work on this in my spare time.

geek

I can try to help. My time is also very limited but i am trying to find some time to develop useful tools for students. When i added stroke order links and links to zhongwen.com to every search result i noticed that the number of users increased a lot. Now i want to finsh the work with my toolbar so that you it will be easier to read Chinese newspapers etc. I have been working on versions of this for PDA devices and cell phones. The biggest problem today is that most free word lists are to limited. I thinkt hat we need to find ways to combine as many lists as possible. I am also looking in to the HSK list from thsi site. Very interesting and helpful. I hope to soon have on-line tools using it and with many functions such as selection of words, mark known and unknown words/characters, store lists for later study etc. Are you interested in combining your list with the Cedict project? I am working on tools to concatenate lists and use them for free on-line tools. Give me sugestions on what you want help with. I might be able to find time for it. Do you have the files or databases for opendict and pzdict? i would be fun to check them out.

these sounds like wonderful ideas. i hope i can make more time in the near future.

Are you interested in combining your list with the Cedict project?

for historical reasons, i may leave CEDICT as is, and we can build several glossaries using your concatenation method.

my goal is to have one version, where editors login and create their own entries that will be real-time.

the other version, will be a month-by-month release of professionally built dictionary entries complete with pictures and scholarly definitions.

demand is increasing for this technology/service, but there's not enough pressure for me to do it right now. :D

hmmm... so much to do. so little time. *sigh*