Chinese-Forums

New University, New Visa?

Wilco

Hi everyone! I wonder if someone had a similar problem.

I'm going to study in Northeast China for 10 months in September on a student visa. When this is going to be over, I'm planning on staying in China, but I would like to transfer to another university. Do I have to apply for a new invitation, then leave the country to receive another visa? Or can I just move to a new city with my old student visa, and get a new one there?

Basically, does a foreign student need a new visa when he transfers to a new university (like they do in Russia)?

Thanks!

For long-term stays like that, once you get to China, you will have to apply for a residence permit (which the university should handle for you). The period of validity usually extends beyond the end of term for a couple of weeks. If you can get an extension before the permit expires, then you don't need to leave the country or apply for a new visa. The problem might be that the new university will not issue you with the papers you need to extend your permit until the start of the new term, by which time your old permit will have already expired, and you will have had to leave the country, in which case you need to start again with a new visa.