Chinese-Forums

Sample Tests Online.

Shi Tong

Hello all,

I'm just listening to the level 4 HSK ting1li4 kao3shi4, and I was pleased to find that I understand nearly everything in there.

However, I was taken aback by something, and I dont know if anyone else agrees.

In a lot of the questions, they ask simple things like "where is the man?" and the answer is something like "at the train station", which is pretty obvious, but I just got a really odd question about the clip I heard, and the answer I think can be ambiguous, so what should you be aiming to say in the test-- here is the clip example, and the question you are asked to answer..

I'll translate to English:..... in spoliers

Question 27: 17min44sec:

Man: Today you're really wearing very formal clothing.. (compliment).. is there something going to happen?

Woman: This afternoon I am going to see some foreigners, my mission is to help them translate.

Man: I understand, take --- (dont actually get this bit).. you're doing an international conference/ meeting.

Woman: That's correct.

tester says: 女的打办的怎么样. "What is the woman "doing?""

So what am I supposed to answer?

Am I supposed to say:

doing an international conference/ meeting

Or is it that I'm saying:

she's preparing to have a meeting with some foreigners for an international conference

Or just

international conference

I mean, how complicated do they expect your answers to be, and what kind of answer are you expected to give? Would I get marked down for answering too simply, and am I right in thinking that you answer in English in the test, or are you supposed to write the answer down in Chinese?

There are plenty of examples of this- where the answers could be long or short, complicated or not, and some which I think are a bit ambiguous...

:blink:

Just glad I understand the bulk of the speaking!! :D

Also, is it just me or is spoiler quite easy to spell wrong? I keep writing spolier and spoliet?!

PS: Just listened to the next question..

the woman is annoyed with the man for driving too fast, and she tells him off, he says "well, you've only just passed your test" and she says "as least I drive slower than you". Then the tester asks "From this conversation, what do you know/ what can you know". So is the answer "the woman has just passed her test, or, she's annoyed with her husband, or, that she drives slower than him, or, that he thinks her driving slowly is a bit of a joke? ARGH!?!

Thanks Roddy.

Put it this way, I can understand what is said, but I sure as hell cant write it! :rolleyes:

hehehe... which is why I'm studying my reading and writing such a lot. Though I still wonder how to answer the tingli kaoshi questions, since I will have to answer correctly, even if the answer seems like it could be ambiguous. :)

I mean, how complicated do they expect your answers to be, and what kind of answer are you expected to give? Would I get marked down for answering too simply, and am I right in thinking that you answer in English in the test, or are you supposed to write the answer down in Chinese?

I have not checked the level 4 sample paper, however I don't think you're supposed to write anything for the tingli part.

The PDF file (or exam booklet) should have the possible answers, you just select the answer from A,B,C,D or True/False.

Edit: actually the PDF file from the australian confucius institute also contains the answers page 34.

Edit: and a transcript of the tape (?) p28

I've just done the level 3 test, and have had similar experiences.

For most of the listening, it seems obvious, then you get one where you really can't see straightforwardly what the correct answer is. Looking back, I think it's been because the language used has really been just above my level. Even if I thought I knew everything when I saw it written down (like in checking through practice test material), spoken at normal speed, I wasn't getting everything, and not getting enough to have the instant confidence of knowing what you were hearing was all about. Sometimes I think it's quite subtle.

Also, I think there's quite a range (at level 3) in the questions. Several seem simple and straightforward while others are definitely more challenging - in all the sections, not just the listening.

Hello all, thanks for all the replies!! :)

Firstly, Roddy, can you explain the clip to me. As you said, I must have just misunderstood it.

Secondly, edelweis, hearing that it's multiple choice/ true/ false seems super easy to me.. this is good news (for those who are a bit thick!) ;)

Thirdly, yes, Jennifer, there are some I understood easily, and some that I'm a bit more stuck on. The difficulty does vary :)

Fourthly-- here's the text for the question I was wondering over:

woman: 危险, 你开得太快了, man: 好吧,好吧,我开漫一点儿. Woman: 你现在把车停一下,我来开, 我真受不了你了. Man: (a bit unclear here): 你(干?)怎么样, 你不是也刚学会几天吗? Woman: 至少比拟开得漫! Tester then says: 通过对话可以知道什么?

Now, I know the above is right- and yet the question the tester asks at the end is really quite odd- there are so many things in the conversation, what one does she want you to point out?

I mean, if you could reply by speech, I could simply repeat the whole thing back at her.

I suppose the point is that the test will have on the papers, something like:

1) The woman has just passed her test a few days ago.

2) The man drives fast

3) The woman cant stand the man's behaviour on the road

4) The woman is going to take over driving

Right?

Firstly, Roddy, can you explain the clip to me. As you said, I must have just misunderstood it.

You've misunderstood the entire concept of a multiple choice exam, it seems. Let us know if there are still any questions once you've looked at the different options.

:lol: :lol: No.. I do understand the idea of a multiple choice exam.. I even know how they work!! :shock:

I haven't had time to look at the question/answer exam sheet which goes with the tingli kaoshi, what I was asking was- did I have the wrong end of the stick with that question (#1) (did I get it wrong?), if I did.. what was it that I was getting wrong?

Am I right in thinking that I got question 2 right? (at least, the content).

The confusion which I expressed to start with was because I didn't realise that it was multiple choice. :)

EDIT: Just had a look at the paper that goes with the tingli kaoshi- yes, I understand it perfectly now! :blink:

Answer to the second question I asked you about is D.:lol:

Yes, it's a lot easier when you have multiple choice- plus, I didn't realise that it's not only tingli kaoshi, you have to be able to read the answers!! :D

You can download the sample tests from this webpage:

http://www.confuciusinstitute.qut.edu.au/study/proficiency.jsp

It is not very practical to email since the files are not small.

In the "New HSK Guidelines" section, click on the desired level.

Then download both the "New HSK - leve X" PDF file and the "New HSK Level X Listening test" (mp3 file).

The PDF file contains the exam booklet (among other things).

For the tingli part you need both that booklet and the audio file.

The booklet also contains the reading and writing parts.

The PDF file also contains the audio file transcript and answers.