Chinese-Forums

What's the worst Chinese Language Course you've ever seen?

roddy

What the worst course you've ever seen / taken?

This one gets my vote, although I'm damned if I'm paying $8.95 to carry out a comprehensive review . . .

The Mandarin for MEAT is SOW

Imagine you show everyone a lump of meat.

The Mandarin for WATER is SHOOAY

Imagine you pour water in your shoe

Yeah, I couldn't get that point through to him, that pinyin wasn't even designed with English pronounciation in mind. There are Japanese, Korean, Thai, Russian ... you name it ... all kinds of people using pinyin to learn Chinese. I felt like beating my head against a wall after talking to him for 10 minutes, but finally convinced him to give it up and just learn pinyin for love of gawd, it's not *that* hard.

• 3 weeks later...
hahahaha' date=' ronny! If you're gonna learn a foreign language, you've gotta learn to think of the letters you read in English as sounding different.

It's just like French or Italian in that respect.[/quote']

Yup. I have a friend who's a native-Spanish speaker. She was complaining about how English vowels can sound in so many different ways where as in Spanish, the sound of the vowels only has a single sound, and the same goes for Hanyu Pinyin. "A" is always "ah" for example.