Chinese-Forums

Want To Take Classes At Bnu/blcu , But Will Only Be 17.

Yezze

So, i have been looking at Chinese summer programs/classes, like the ones offered at BNU or BLCU. I will have taken 3 years of Chinese by the time I graduate (2011) and would like spend my senior (2011) summer there, taking 2-3 months worth of Chinese classes, to vastly improve my Chinese, but the problem is.. I started kindergarten a year early and will only be 17 that summer (still will be 17 when i start college in aug/sep). According to the BNU and BLCU websites, you have to be 18. Does anyone know of any programs that a 17 year old could do, but would still be like 2-3 hours of class per day and would be in Beijing. Something just like those classes (at least, what i think they are like), a few hours of class and the rest free time. That way, i could explore around and relax a bit, and hang out with some "old" friends.

(The ideal situation)

But, since i would have a high school diploma at this time, is there any way I could get speical permission (parent approval, gov't approval... no idea) to be allowed to go to BNU or BLCU (or something like them) at the age of 17, but having already graduated from high school. Does anyone know if this is even a possibility, if so, i assume would i have to e-mail the universities, explain my situation and discuss with them the possibilities.

Housing... I became very good friends with a exchange student (came here last year and is coming back next year) that lives in Beijing, who already told me that their parents said I could live with them for a few months if i went to Beijing (they have even an extra bedroom).

Thoughts/Comments about what do to?

Thanks for reading this wall of text! Any knowledge/insight would be helpful.

Haven't heard of any specific situations, but they might be flexible. All you can really do is explain the circumstances (mentioning that you will be staying with a friend's family might help) and see what they can say. Universities can be uncommunicative, you might need to keep pestering them.

If they're not helpful, I wouldn't worry too much. There are any number of high-school study abroad programs you could go on, although that would work out pricier. And if you have somewhere to stay, I can't see any reason why you couldn't come over, stay with your friend and take classes at any one of Beijing's private schools.

Please have a look at this thread.

There is a link to the blog of an Australian girl who attended BLCU at age 17 (short program) and not having yet finished high school. Perhaps you can try and contact her to get information about how she did it.

I'm doing a semester course (at 4hours p/day) at BLCU and we have an Indonesian boy who is only 17 too.

I think that as long as you show parent consent to the Uni I doubt they will be that bothered. The only thing you have to prepare for is that there aren't many western students here under 20yo.

Does anyone know of any programs that a 17 year old could do, but would still be like 2-3 hours of class per day and would be in Beijing.

4hours a day is a good balance between study and play :)

Hope this helps.