Chinese-Forums

Travelling Before Attending University In Beijing

love_china

Hi there!

I am planning on going to school for the Fall 2010 semester in Beijing. But before that (Early August), my family and I are going to travel to Beijing for a couple of days then to Shanghai and possibly leave the country to Malaysia for a week or so. From Malaysia, I am planning on returning to Beijing to my school while my family flies back home to Canada.

I have read in a couple of topics that the student visa is only valid for the duration of study in China. If this is true, will I have a problem applying for one since I plan on being in China earlier and will exit the country? Can I apply for two kinds? Which kind(s) would suit my situation best?

Thank you! :)

Hi!

You are not allowed to have different types of visas at the same time. So get a tourist "L" Visa (double/multiple entry) and later, when you settled in Beijing (after Malaysia) convert it to F/X visa. If your university is good enough they will help you with this process (ask them in advance!). If they won't help, you should travel to Hongkong, and apply there for an F/X visa, but that's worst case scenario.

• 1 month later...

Hello! Thanks for the response :). I emailed my school (Tsinghua University) and they said something about their office not being open in order to help me! But I came up with the idea of simply applying for the student visa in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia while I'm there. Is this possible? Am I allowed to even though I'm not a Malaysian citizen? Haha i know nothing about visas! :P

I'll be back in China August 23rd, 2010. Is that too early to be in China if I want to use my student visa? My registration period starts September 6th.

Thanks a bunch :D