Chinese-Forums

BLCU - 20 hours or 30 hours per week?

Bourne

I'm just starting at BLCU and have enrolled in the intensive 30 hours a week program. That's 6 hours a day compared to the standard 4. Everybody I have talked to here has said that is way too much and that 4 hours a day is more than enough.

I want to learn as much as possible as fast as possible, but I'm not sure this is the best way. It might be harder to get myself to study on my own after 6 hours of Chinese, I don;t know yet. I have no previous knowledge of Chinese.

Anybody have thoughts on this? Anybody done the intensive program at BLCU?

While I never did the intensive program at BLCU, I don't think it's "too intense" or too much. I'm sure it will help a good deal. I think for most people it's just a matter of their mornings and afternoons being occupied by class. It's nice to have every afternoon off.

I think in general the extra class time would be useful. More useful would be being out on the streets chatting with real chinese people...

I'd been there from July 9 - Aug 3, everyday 6 hours 8-12, 14-16, isn't it? Hmmm.. depends you like Chinese or not. For me, it's funny. Teacher there tend to make you open your mouth in the 6 hours. After school we need to have our own practice/study 3-4 hours at least, with classmates in meeting centre, canteens, supermarkets, TV, etc. Most of us lost our voices on the 4th day, and recovered on the 5th, ha... Miss the days.

• 2 months later...