Chinese-Forums

Summer Course In Shanghai

mar7us

Hi there,

As with most of the people on these forums, i'm just another lost individual that's new to the 'studying in china' scene.

I was looking for a university in Shanghai that would suit particularly my summer schedule.

1. Does anyone know when Fudan's summer programme actually start? the CSA website : http://www.centerforstudyabroad.com/shanghai.html

states that the course can start as early as 12th July - 8th of August, which is what I am interested in. However, going onto the Fudan university website itself and taking a look at its timetable http://iso.fudan.edu.../201008hydq.swf states that all courses start in August.

2. What is the teaching in Fudan University like? Are there many other alternatives to studying for a month in Shanghai?

3. Also, the deadline of the programme states the 10th of June, which is pretty near. I was wondering how did you guys apply for the course? Did you do it by snail mail?(as i realise that might take ages and my application might even reach them past the deadline)

Thanks very much!

from,

A very, very troubled student eagering to study in Shagnhai.

• Like 1

Hey im thinking about doing the same program for the month of July, but only for three weeks since I am busy early August.

1. It says online that you can even choose to do two, three, four, or more weeks at a time. Therefore I think the timing is very flexible. Also the calendar thing I found for July (http://iso.fudan.edu.cn/downloads/201007hydq.swf) says it starts July 13th through August 6th. But it also has the option at the top of two, three weeks, etc.

2. A couple friends of mine studied Spring semester at Fudan and really enjoyed it, including the teachers. I don't know much about the quality of instruction although I know Fudan is a really good university, so hopefully they'd have good standards for teachers.

Are you staying in a dorm there? I'm actually in shanghai right now, so its easy for me to turn in the application, etc. I would email or call the school to ask about if its ok if your application is a little late by mail. I'm sure it will be fine since I don't think this program is competitive or anything. I'll let you know how I turn in my stuff- or I can even ask them a question for you if you'd like.

good luck!

Um so now I'm scared to go to Fudan after reading some negative things on it such as on this post: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/21081-east-china-normal-or-jiaotong/page__p__207912__hl__fudan__fromsearch__1entry207912

I don't know anything about the quality of teaching for chinese. I just had assumed it would be good since its such a prestigious school. My friends that studied there Spring semester did it through a study abroad program so im not sure if that is the same teachers that would normally teach there or not. I think I will also look into Jiaotong and ENCU for summer programs although ENCU seems kind of expensive.

thanks very much for the response! I am quite unsure about attending fudan as well. mainly because of what the people on these forums say.

however, the only reason why I have to pick fudan is that because they do offer accommodation on-site as opposed to Jiao Tong where it's mainly a language centre and accommodation is mainly left to our own hands ( which i am sure will be a bit of a nightmare especially knowing i know nothing of shanghai's streets)

have you decided on what you're going to be doing? where you're going to apply? pm me your contact? we could probably talk more there?

• 5 weeks later...
  • New Members

I did one of the four week courses in february aswell as doing a semester at Fudan. I think it really depends on your level because I found that the way the short courses were grouped ( basic - int - advanced) were too broad with some people in my advanced class finding it very challenging while others like myself found it way too easy. Apart from that I found the teachers in the short courses were great, really lovely and were more than happy to give you advice about where to shop/eat/see etc. Also the books they used were the Beijing Uni 速成汉语 which were alright. Classes were taught in the 光华楼 building ( its the big twin tower looking thing) which as everyone says has great classrooms, nice aircon and great views of the uni. But yeh if you just want to do a quick brushup of your chinese then a Fudan shortcourse is quite good... just yeh stay away from the long term course!! :(

• 1 year later...
  • New Members

Hello

I plan to go in February to Shanghai to learn Chinese and would like to know if someone has some school to recommend. I am a beginner. I plan to take classes for 2-3 months and then do an internship.

Thank you

cheers

sonii