Chinese-Forums

Student Visa For Study In Tibet

glenzeppelin

I have applied to study at the University of Tibet in Lhasa. However, I am a little concerned that my application for an X Visa will be rejected because I want to study in Tibet. Does it make a difference where I apply for my visa (Hong Kong, Bangkok, etc.)? Also, is there likely to be any problem in obtaining a Tibet Travel Permit?

Provided you already have the appropriate documentation (the JW201/202 form and the admission notice) I can't see why getting an x visa would be a problem. You will probably also need the Tibet travel permit at the time you apply for the visa. However, I would try to apply for the visa as early as possible, just to avoid problems.

I'm not sure about applying for student visas outside your own country. There has been discussion on the forum about that before I think.

As I understand it, you should be exempt from needing the permit. However if whoever you are trying to buy the ticket from doesn't know that . . .

Getting the visa should be no problem, but anything involving Tibet will come in for closer scrutiny. If possible I'd do the application at your home embassy, or if possible make sure the invitation letter specifies the one you'll actually use. While I'm perhaps being pessimistic, I can see a visa officer who hasn't dealt with a student visa for Tibet before deciding it will just be easier to tell you to apply elsewhere.

Let us know how you get on - we've had a few queries about studying in Tibet over the years, but I don't think anyone has actually made it there.