Chinese-Forums

Using 忘了 (+ An Item)

AlexanderH

我忘了拿来了。

I'm having a hard time understanding why you need the 来 here. Is it grammatically correct to just say 我忘了拿了。 (I forgot bring it).

Does the 来 indicate "With" you?

Note: there was a series of sentences before this which established the context and item, and in this case it was a map the person forgot.

How would you say I forgot my pencil?

我忘了我的笔了。 Is this right?

"Bring/pick up" and "come", rather than "bring/pick up" and "go" which would be 拿去了. It's quite common to add or onto things, and they indicate movement towards the speaker or away from the speaker respectively.

I believe it's always done from the speaker's point of view, whereas English often uses the listener's point of view.

For example, leaning out my apartment window to a friend below who wants to see me, I could say in English "I'll come down and meet you" but in Mandarin it'll be 我下去接你. I think!

• 1 month later...

we learnt it in class the other day.

Its called complement of direction.

Here is the example they used with us.

2 friends at school. One friend is sitting inside the classroom and the other is outside

进教室来 - person is in the room and is speaking to his friend outside the room. he is telling him to come into the room.

进教室去 - person is outside the room and is speaking to the person inside the room. he is telling him that he is going to enter the room