Chinese-Forums

Htc Evo Vs Iphone 4

eatfastnoodle

which one would you prefer? I've been thinking of replacing my old iPhone 3G for a while, pending the termination of my contract with ATT. Over the years, I grew a little bit tired of iPhone's interface, which I consider too inflexible and dull. Right now, the two hottest phones on US market are HTC Evo from Sprint and iPhone 4, soon to be released, I like Evo's design, its gigantic screen, and the fact that there are so much more goodies integrated, google's turn by turn GPS, for example, what I'm a little big concerned with is battery life of Evo, from what I read, it could barely last a day of medium use, also the lack of 4G coverage in my area and the fact that I have to change to another carrier present some problems, but I'd take it if the battery life is acceptable. iPhone 4, well, aside from another camera and some improvement in functionality, remains pretty much the same iPhone before, that said, iPhone does, like all Apple products, have a certain polishness and usability that no other system ever comes close. I still haven't made my decision. Anybody have any first hand experience with Evo?

• 2 weeks later...

Here is a detailed testing of the antenna issue. The bottomline is that antenna has much improved reception, but don't touch the lower left corner during calls.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2

iPhone 4 antenna

iPhone 4's battery life is much improved. The battery can take 10 hours of continuous web browsing over WiFi, about 2 hours more than the HTC Evo and 4.5 hours better than the Nexus One.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/13

Battery comparison

it's not about the reception per se. it's how Apple handles it. The whole "software update" thing is a disgrace, it's insulting to the consumers to even suggest such a lame "fix". Jobs' arrogance is getting out of control. BTW, Droid X is also quite attractive.

As long as we're on the subject of funny iPhone videos:

http://www.viddler.com/explore/engadget/videos/1633/

("I use it to check recipes and send threatening e-mails to unauthorized third-party app developers")

As far as reception issues, though, an awful lot of the complaints about iPhone 4 receiption have been from people who've seen fewer bars when holding the iPhone on the corner but haven't actually dropped any calls, so it seems like a software update could definitely make a difference for a lot of them, or at least make it easier to identify those who are actually having significant problems (perhaps even due to a manufacturing flaw, say). Heck, they may be able able to surreptitiously tweak their baseband to improve reception a bit at the same time. Android phones have had their share of reception issues too - with the Nexus One Google actually gave up on trying to fix them (and, just like Apple, recommended holding the phone a different way) - but at least with iPhone you know that there are millions of other people with the same phone, and that the media (and blood-sucking class-action lawyers) aren't going to leave Apple alone until they fix it to (almost) everyone's satisfaction.

If you do decide to go Android, given that they've just released a brand new OS with a lot of major under-the-hood-changes it might be advisable to wait a few months until getting your new phone; give them time to work out the bugs, and for the brand new hardware just announced this summer to come down a bit from its early-adopter prices. (there also might be better options Chinese-software-wise on Android by then)

• Like 1

Not that I know of, HTC Evo has just been introduced into the US market, maybe in the future it'll be released to other markets, but at this moment, I have never heard of anybody outside the US getting a HTC Evo.

Listed in plenty of places, although you'd want to ask if they've actually got the stock.

Doesn't take long for 水货 to turn up locally once something's available overseas. And with smartphones you probably want 水货, otherwise you'll miss out on wifi. A release of an actual local version would be under the 多普达 brand.

Petri, where have you been looking?

• 3 weeks later...

I think I already know the answer, but I saw an article that grey market iPhone 4's are appearing in China so I figured I'll ask anyway.

Can I purchase an iPhone 4 in the US and use it in China? I know I might have to cut the SIM cards or whatnot and I'm fine with that. My main question is whether or not it has to be jailbroken first. I'm pretty sure that there is no jailbreak available for the iPhone 4 yet but I'm not that in touch with Apple products so if someone else can help that'd be great.

• 3 weeks later...

Isn't HTC Evo only with Sprint? I know you can unlock it but it's made to be on a CDMA network only while China is on a GSM network.... actually I think I read the 2nd largest mobile co in China is on CDMA but I'm not sure.

Anyone have more info on this aspect?

Also~ Iphone 4 uses MICRO sim cards... I read that china mobile is making micro sim cards for iphones/ipads but I'm not sure if they're available everywhere at China Mobiles on mainland or only hongkong for now.... and they def won't be as readily available by street vendors for a while.... anyone know how easy it is to cut your own microsim card? do u have to get special sim cards first?