Chinese-forums.com
Learn Chinese in China
  • Why you should look around

Since 2003, Chinese-forums.com has been helping people learn Chinese faster and get to China sooner. Our members can recommend beginner textbooks, help you out with obscure classical vocabulary, and tell you where to get the best street food in Xi'an. And we're friendly about it too. 

Have a look at what's going on, or search for something specific. We hope you'll join us. 
pazu

How to learn Chaozhouhua?

pazu    9
pazu

It's difficult to find any textbooks on Chaozhouhua, any idea about it? I've made a search at the Hong Kong Central Library, but still couldn't find much.

Site Sponsors:
Pleco for iPhone / Android iPhone & Android Chinese dictionary: camera & hand- writing input, flashcards, audio.
Study Chinese in Kunming 1-1 classes, qualified teachers and unique teaching methods in the Spring City.
Learn Chinese Characters Learn 2289 Chinese Characters in 90 Days with a Unique Flash Card System.
Hacking Chinese Tips and strategies for how to learn Chinese more efficiently
Popup Chinese Translator Understand Chinese inside any Windows application, website or PDF.
Chinese Grammar Wiki All Chinese grammar, organised by level, all in one place.

holyman    0
holyman
It's difficult to find any textbooks on Chaozhouhua, any idea about it? I've made a search at the Hong Kong Central Library, but still couldn't find much.

seen a few chaozhouhua dictionaries and collection of chaozhou idiomic phrases in some bookstores in beijing. it's pretty close to fujian dialect, aka hokkien, sometimes generally known as minnan.

Tsunku    3
Tsunku

One of my best friends speaks chaozhou fluently. It's pretty widely spoken outside of China, among Chinese speakers in SE Asia in particular I believe. I did a quick search on the net one day and found a pretty large amount of info about it. It's sometimes called Teo Chiew (there are a lot of variations on that spelling too), so you might try searching for it under other names as well if you haven't already.

wix    10
wix
It's pretty widely spoken outside of China, among Chinese speakers in SE Asia in particular I believe.

Most overseas Chinese in Thailand speak Chaozhou. Although it is related to Minnan it is still largely unintelligible to Minnan speakers. However, perhaps if you found something that detailed the phonetic shifts and differences in vocabulary then you could make sense of it by using some text books for Minnan (aka Taiwanese, Hokkien, Hoklo, etc.).

Guest GagiNang   
Guest GagiNang

Hey everyone.

First of all, to learn more, please go to

http://www.gaginang.org

Teochiu, aka Chaozhou (in Mandarin) is actually a Minnan dialect. Minnan is a large family group of Chinese dialects, which includes Hokkien (Fujian hua in Mandarin) and Taiwanese.

Teochiu has many other names and spellings. You'll often see it referenced as:

"Teochew,"

"Chiuchow" (Cantonese pronunciation),

"Diojiu" (romanized spelling according to the Shantou University Publishing romanization system),

Teochow (butchered spelling of Teochiu and Teochew),

and even Swatow (a Teochiu way of saying "Shantou," a city in Guangdong Province where the natives speak Teochiu).

http://www.gaginang.org

GagiNang is a grassroots organization aimed at Teochiu youth who are interested in Teochiu culture and language.

Tsunku    3
Tsunku

I showed this website to my Chaozhou speaking friend and she loved it. Thanks for sharing!

Guest sceptical   
Guest sceptical

Hmmm any other websites that shows pronunciation of teochew? I'm rather curious because in Singapore the teochew is so mixed with hokkien that the original pronunciation for meat in teochew "NeK" has become "BaK" and soap which the original pronunciation is "Pia Yok" has been replaced by the malay word "Sabun"

cathaykid    0
cathaykid

I speak Shantounese(actually it's the same language as Chaozhouhua,just in a different accent),it's said to be more similar to ancient Chinese than Putonghua.Even though I don't always understand what people say,because after an hour's drive you'll hear another accent...

And judging from the pronuciation,Teochew should be the name of the place where this language is spoken,equals Chaozhou in Pinyin.

Actually many people have been here for many years but they can only understand,some of them can speak pretty well but they never speak it,one of the reasons is that it sounds too droll for them... :-?

Guest GagiNang   
Guest GagiNang

Actually, meat is called both NEK and BHAT. Both are Teochiu words.

We plan to have sound clips soon on gaginang.org so check it out.

Shantou accent does differ a good deal from the other accents, like Chaoyang, Chaozhou, Jieyang, and Puning. Actually, they all have their own peculiarities. Shantou word for "tomorrow" = MUA YIK, while the other versions pronounce it as MA YIK.

Ian_Lee    5
Ian_Lee

Unless you are physically residing in the 9-county Chaozhouese-speaking region or perhaps Thailand, otherwise it is awfully hard to learn and practice Chaozhouese nowadays.

So far I only know a handful of Chaozhouese 4-letter words.

trooper    1
trooper

How to learn Chaozhouhua? Get a Chaozhouhua-speaking girlfriend! :lol:

cathaykid    0
cathaykid

Can't agree~~

There are at least two teachers who have Shantou girlfriends,and they regard Chaozhouhua as a headache.They grasp Mandarin pretty well,though.The best way to piss them off so far as I know,is to speak Chaozhouhua in class...

Ian_Lee    5
Ian_Lee

It seems that there are fewer homonyms in Chaozhouese than Cantonese has.

There are two brother-tycoons in Hong Kong whose given names end in and (both are very common names for male). Most Cantonese speakers scratch their heads why these two brothers were given names with the same pronunciation: hung4 (Cantonese).

But later they clarified that in Chaozhouese, these two characters have different pronunciation.

雄 seems to pronounce like "Xiang" in Chaozhouese. Does anybody know what 鴻 is pronounced in Chaozhouese?

Mugi    19
Mugi

The 汉语方言字汇 (第二版) gives the following for 潮州

鸿 [鴻] = hong5

雄 = 文hiong5 白heng5

Pollip    0
Pollip

"How to learn Chaozhouhua? Get a Chaozhouhua-speaking girlfriend! :lol:"

Lol, learning to speak Chaozhouhua is much harder that I thought. Not really any textbooks or traing material online and finding a tutor is proving to be very difficult.