Chinese-Forums

Converting Traditional Subtitles To Simplified?

Pengyou

My favorite movie is called "The Mighty", with Sharon Stone and a mostly unknown actors and actresses. I love to show it to jr. high age kids because it is a really great object lesson. I used to have 2 vcds with simplified Chinese subs. The disks have become inoperable and the only replacement I could find was a dvd - a real, not pirated one - that has traditional subs. Is there any way I can take the subtitle file and convert it to simplified script? i have tried buying another disk but the movie was published in 1998 and it is too old to find anything.

AFAIK, the subtitle format in DVD is graphics-based, not text based. That is, the subtitle stream is images of the text, not text itself; this was done so the DVD player does not need to know how to convert text into graphics, which, when you think about it, does make some sense or else DVD players would basically need to know to display Unicode. Hence, you can't simply rip the subtitles from the DVD and convert it with a standard traditional to simplified converter.

My recommendation would be to search for a torrent download of the movie with simplified. {BTW, when you're looking, "srt" format it text-based, "sub" format is graphics based.]

My favorite movie is called "The Mighty", with Sharon Stone and a mostly unknown actors and actresses. I love to show it to jr. high age kids because it is a really great object lesson. I used to have 2 vcds with simplified Chinese subs. The disks have become inoperable and the only replacement I could find was a dvd - a real, not pirated one - that has traditional subs. Is there any way I can take the subtitle file and convert it to simplified script? i have tried buying another disk but the movie was published in 1998 and it is too old to find anything.

you might want to be a little cautious with this bcos sharon stone was targetted by chinese govt for her (improper) comments on the sichuan earthquake 2 years back.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the warning re: Sharon. I will take note. The kids in the orphanage have very weak education - some of the 12-13 year olds ability to read simplified is not much better than mine :( I will try the link you gave me. Any suggestions on how to add another set of subtitles when I download this from the web?