Chinese-Forums

Writing In The Air To Help You Remember Characters

chinopinyin

I do, or rather did, whist on the tube [metro] in the morning, when I was in London. However, rote memorisation has taken a back seat because I find trying to memorise a whole bucketful of new words per day, boring, frustrating and distracting from understanding grammar structures and consolidating what I have already learnt.

That said, when I do go over new words, verbs, sentence structures, I use a whiteboard as I've found it is much more useful than paper to focus writing hanzi correctly - and more importantly, it sticks in my mind.

Writing in the air helps when you're out and about, but I've found for retention, it's a mixture of cerebral memorisation and muscle memorisation i.e. by writing on a whiteboard or paper, your hand 'remembers' the strokes for particular characters; rather like when you learn touch-typing, after a while your fingers 'remember' the correct position on the keyboard without conscious thought.

Cheers!

• Like 1

Fine in terms of remembering structure / stroke order, but (and this is after spending quite some time with a tablet and stylus over the last six months) if you want to be able to write non-ugly characters with pen and paper, you need to put the time in with pen and paper. If you'll forgive the analogy, you can't learn to play the guitar by waving a harmonica about.

No, but I'm sure it works. See attachment, page 5 "KINETIC INFORMATION IN KAJI [sic] WORDS."

Very nice paper. It is only quoted two times in Google Scholar, though http://scholar.google.es/scholar?hl=es&q=Kanji+Knowledge+as+Read-only+vs.+Write-Only&btnG=Buscar&lr=&as_ylo=&as_vis=0 I wonder if there are additional studies on this subject

Interestingly, the older you are the more likely you are to finger-write

Writing on surfaces is also more common than writing on the air

I used to see children and older folks practice writing characters by tracing in the sand at the beach or tracing with water on a brick or cement surface. So sometimes the finger can act as a pen.

• 1 year later...

A Japanese teacher told her class that writing characters in the air using the whole arm movement is another aid to remember characters. This is partly because muscles are involved but also the large drawing area allows you to remember where the different strokes are located . She mentioned that it is similar to remembering your pin code at a cash point - this is why the brain gets confused when the order of the pin code numbers are switched around.

I am not sure if it helps learning writing, but a friend of mine (native Chinese) does this a lot, even during a gathering, and I find it annoying. It is as if he finds us boring (well perhaps we are).

I don't know how he actually does it, but I think I will find it more weird than annoying if any of my friends does so...