Chinese-Forums

Displaying Chinese Characters On Icq

laowai99

Well, i have all the Chinese language packs installed, so i can type etc in Chinese. Also, Chinese displays correctly in all my browsers. But, when I use ICQ chat, none of the characters display.

I've tried using AppLocale and the same problem occurs....

I've had similar problems with some programs refusing to display characters when everything else does. I never found a solution though.

You could try fiddling around with regional settings and reinstalling IMEs but that's kind of annoying to do.

There is a Chinese version of ICQ you could try, if that has the same problems then you'd at least know it's something other than the program.

You could also try a different program that has ICQ support. There are a few around, I don't know which is best but you might have more luck with one of them.

A bit off topic but why are you using ICQ anyway? Most Chinese people use QQ and everyone else seems to use MSN. I'm surprised ICQ is still around, I remember using it years ago when I was in high school but everyone switched to msn.

Oh, is ICQ chat a different program or web based or what? Looks to be web based from the site. Maybe the applet it uses screws the characters up. Do you know if other people can use chinese characters? I don't really know what else you can do about this, sorry.