Chinese-Forums

Sinopec

andreabt

Is anyone near or at Sinopec University in Beijing? I thought I would be at the Public Security Bureau University, starting in November, but it's looking like that program fell through, and I'll be at Sinopec.

Also, though I love this forum (despite only stopping in sporadically), does anyone know of a forum whose main purpose is discussing life in China, not just primarily language? I'm getting excited about my upcoming trip, and want to find other people living there who want to talk about it.

Sadly, I briefly belonged to the three Yahoo groups that were about teaching/working/living in China, but did not find what I was looking for there.

Am I just a forum-hopper, looking for the perfect forum that does not exist? ;) I also want to be clear I have no problems with this forum; it's purpose just seems more focused than what I'm looking for. And I'll certainly be popping back in here when I have language questions!

Hi Andrea. Unfortunately I don't know of any forums like you describe, but you could try posting here, in whichever forum seems most relevant or in the random chat forum.

There's also the Lonely Planets Thorntree which is strictly speaking for travel, but in practice is used by residents as well. You probably know about that one though.

Roddy

Dave's ESL cafe has two boards for China, one for job related stuff, and one for more life related stuff. I dunno if it'd be what you're looking for exactly, the tone isn't always the most positive one, but you could check it out, it's very active.

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/index.php is the URL for Dave's.

I think there's room on this forum for living in China type stuff. Plenty of us live or have lived in China before, and there are lots forums here that aren't about language.

Roddy, I didn't know about Thorntree, so I'll look that up too, but as I mentioned in the reply to your PM, I'm going to stick around here to see if I can get what I'm looking for from this forum.

Tsunku, I'm thinking you may be right; ditto what I just said to Roddy :)

Niubi, after doing some websearches, I figured out that the school I'll be at is associated with Sinopec, but not *called* Sinopec. It's English name is Petrochemical Management College, but I don't know if that's the same as the Petroleum University? I do know that Sinopec itself is in Chaoyang, which, depending on what *part* of Chaoyang it's in, would not be so bad...but I don't know for sure that the school is physically attached to the company. If the two schools are one and the same, I will be bummed that it moved! That would have been a great part of town to be in, if my memories of Beijing are correct; there are a bunch of universities in that area, are there not? and a lot of really cool (and CHEAP) restaurants as a result.