Chinese-Forums

根据vs按

Peiruo

Is there a rule about when to use 按 and when to use 根据 or are they synonyms? Both are described as prepositions meaning "according to"/“in accordance with". 可不可以说:

1。按人数洗

2。根据人数洗

example one is from my 口语课本 and the 洗 refers to developing photographs (rather than washing). Just wondering if I can swap in 根据 for the same meaning.

感谢!

Is there a rule about when to use 按 and when to use 根据 or are they synonyms? Both are described as prepositions meaning "according to"/“in accordance with". 可不可以说:

1。按人数洗

2。根据人数洗

example one is from my 口语课本 and the 洗 refers to developing photographs (rather than washing). Just wondering if I can swap in 根据 for the same meaning.

感谢!

for that example it is about the same, 1 is more common than 2. but other cases, 按 can mean 'note', common seen in '作者按' or '编者按', meaning 'author's note', 'editors' note' etc. 按 can also mean 'according to present situation'. 根据 usually mean 'based on another info, former way of doing' etc, less used in impromtu cases. this is why the example you gave, 1 is more common than 2. 1 implies its 'according to the present situation', in a photo shop. but even in a spa or shower room or hair stylist, the number of customer there can vary day to day, there can be makeshift solution. it's not based on other findings/evidence or strict regulations etc.

when talking about official evidences, findings etc, both can be used in place of each other.

awesome!

比较合适的例子应该是:

1。按情况我们出去还是待在这

2。根据规定他们举办公司会议

Excuse my basic grammar but do you think this captures the difference you describe?

awesome!

比较合适的例子应该是:

1。按情况我们出去还是待在这

2。根据规定他们举办公司会议

Excuse my basic grammar but do you think this captures the difference you describe?

yes more or less. but take note these sentences sounds like affirmative so it would be a little funny to ask for opinions. a similar word can be in place of 1 and would be less formal. that is 照. also means 'according to', but less formal more versatile.

1.按现在情况看,我们是出去还是呆在这?

>>照现在情况看,我们是出去还是呆在这?

if 按 or 根据 used in questioning, it would usually be about factual things, less of an opinion. >> 'according to him' how did the accident happened?

请问根据目击者(eye witness)的说法,车祸是怎么发生的?

but such distinctions are pretty blurred, you probably got to get a feel of it thru reading and listening, catch how chinese uses them.