Chinese-Forums

Work Visa (Z-visa)

Ving2010

Hi all,

I need some advice about obtaining a Chinese Work Z-Visa in the UK and in Beijing. I'm hoping to land a 6 month contract working in Beijing. I would like to return to the UK for a few weeks then return to Beijing for work. I am currently in Beijing on a Business F Visa, which expires on 14th August 2010. My UK passport also expires October 2011.

About me - British (UK) Passport, Degree and masters educated. I have over 1 years experience since graduation working in the UK. I have had other part time jobs before university too.

Reading the information on the Chinese Embassy website in the UK here, I have some questions:

1) I see no mention about doing a health check or providing 2 years work experience to obtain a Work Visa on the UK China Embassy website. Do I need to do this to obtain a work Z Visa?

2) If I need to do a health check, can I do this in the UK?

3) If I need to provide 2 years work experience, is this only counted after graduation?

4) I plan to stay in China for another year but my passport expires in Oct 2011. Should I renew first?

5) Should I get the work visa in Beijing or back home in the UK?

6) Any other advice?

Cheers!

I'm hoping to land a 6 month contract working in Beijing.

What type of work are you looking for? I can only speak based on my experience with English teachers, so hopefully this will help in some way.

1) I see no mention about doing a health check or providing 2 years work experience to obtain a Work Visa on the UK China Embassy website. Do I need to do this to obtain a work Z Visa?

The health check will almost certainly be needed. The work experience will vary by company.

2) If I need to do a health check, can I do this in the UK?

Yes, but it may not be accepted in China. Teachers who get visas through my school must do both, one back home and then another once they arrive in China. Tedious, but it's what the bureaucrats want.

3) If I need to provide 2 years work experience, is this only counted after graduation?

This may vary by company, but in my experience, if a teacher needs "teaching" experience for their position, most schools include any type of professor assistant work as teaching experience.

4) I plan to stay in China for another year but my passport expires in Oct 2011. Should I renew first?

This would probably be a good idea. It would avoid hassle in the future.

5) Should I get the work visa in Beijing or back home in the UK?

You don't work on a work (Z) visa. A work (Z) visa only gets you into the country. All Z visas must be converted to resident permits within 30 days of entry. The resident permits allows you to work in China.

Z visas must be procured in your home country (in most cases). Invitation documents are sent to you by your employer. You take these documents along with your completed medical to the embassy, fill in some forms, and they issue you the Z visa. When you arrive in China, your employer takes you to the local PSB (or perhaps another office) where you are issued your resident permit.

6) Any other advice?

Bureaucracy in China is a nightmare. What I've discussed above is based on my experience here in Harbin. Things may be done differently elsewhere.