Chinese-Forums

Chinese Books for Children (Native Speakers)

HedgePig

Can anyone recommend good Chinese books for children?

Our daughter is at a local Chinese school (going into fifth grade) and we are looking for books for her. The school has recommended some books for the students but they tend to be translations of English or other foreign books, which she's already read in English (for example Charlotte's Web, Pippi Longstocking, Helen Keller's autobiography.) I also suspect that the Chinese translation isn't always very good but I can't really judge (they are way, way above my level!)

So if anyomne can recommend any good children's literature originally written in Chinese I'd appreciate names and authors.

Regards

HedgePig

Can anyone recommend good Chinese books for children?

Our daughter is at a local Chinese school (going into fifth grade) and we are looking for books for her. The school has recommended some books for the students but they tend to be translations of English or other foreign books, which she's already read in English (for example Charlotte's Web, Pippi Longstocking, Helen Keller's autobiography.) I also suspect that the Chinese translation isn't always very good but I can't really judge (they are way, way above my level!)

So if anyomne can recommend any good children's literature originally written in Chinese I'd appreciate names and authors.

Regards

HedgePig

used to read chinese history comics in my childhood. kids love pictures, so that really helps. but in my days people are mentally stronger and we look at jousting and fighting images on these comics. never turned violent thou. nowadays a lot of things are sanitized and people becomes softer, so some of these may not be considered okay for kids in present standard. over protective i think. so get those about artists, writers, ordinary life instead of war or politics.

Chinese idiom and their stories are well worth learning. Lots of Newberry prize winners have been translated to Chinese. Chinese classic stories come in different reading levels. Most importantly is providing books that interest your kid. Take her to the book store and let her pick. My kid enjoys very much the Chinese Harry Potter series and short readings like such idiom stories, aesop stories, chinese culture stories zhong guo wen hua de gu shi (it tells the origin or chinese things like the the guzheng, makeup, earrings, etc. My kids reads tons of English books.

Thanks for the responses, folks. Just to clarify, I'm looking for books origianlly written in Chinese, not translations. It seems that there's a dearth of good children's literature written in Chinese.

Regards

HedgePig

It isn't outstanding Chinese literature but the kids liked QiQi the Panda series. But this was from 10 years ago and I think it was published in either England or Hong Kong.

I know there are a lot, at least out of Taiwan. [Which means they are in traditional and the Furigana are in bopomofo, not pinyin.]

For example, one that I came across in our library was Small stories, big inspiration , published by Mankind's Cultural Publishing (ISBN 9576041899). Maybe you can use that as a start for your search?

I second getting her an idiom stories book. They can be fun for children if they have pictures and pretty educational.

I don't think there is a dearth of good children's lit in Chinese - have you done a good search at the local book shop?

Ancient Chinese Stories on Traditional Operas, 中国古代戏曲故事(Zhong guo gu dai xi qu gu shi), it's bilingual and with pinyin and pictures.

Modern Water Margin 摩登水浒(Mou deng shui wu), the author is Hu Jun, this book is recomposed from The Water Margin. It's in Chinese and with funny pictures.

I've found some in a website, maybe you can pick up there because I really don't know what kids like.

http://www.book-wholesale.com/childrenyoung-adults-c_62-min0-max0-attr0-11-goods_id-DESC

Thanks for all the suggestions. Will send my daughter to some of those links to see what she is interested in. I'm still hoping for some more specific recommendations (thanks Meng Lelan, jbradfor, zening) She definitely doesn't need pinyin or pictures as her Chinese is native level (she's at a local Chinese school here in China) and she loves reading. I guess I'm hoping for suggestions that are the Chinese equivalents of things like The Narnia series, E. Nesbit, The Green Knowe books, Roald Dahl, Laura Ingalls Wilder, Anne of Green Gables, etc, etc.

I do like the suggestions for books explaing origins of idioms and about Chinese culture.

I think I (finally!) understand what you are asking. You're wondering if there are any "classic" children's fiction that almost all kids read (or at least know of) while growing up.

That's a very interesting question.

I don't know the answer, but I wouldn't be surprised if there are not any. I don't think that reading for the sake of reading is valued in China, you should be reading something educational. Which, in this context, means simplified versions of the classics, etc.

But since you're in Shanghai, I think a trip to the children's section in a local bookstore or public library is called for.

I think I (finally!) understand what you are asking. You're wondering if there are any "classic" children's fiction that almost all kids read (or at least know of) while growing up.

That's what I'm looking for! And I agree that there probably isn't much.

We do go to the bookstore quite often but that doesn't help _me_ very much because I can't read nearly at her level and so cannot judge the books myself.

There's lots of books available. I've seen lots of stuff in our local Chinese bookstore. I'm not even in Asia. If you want classics, every Chinese bookstores carry Chinese classic series that covers all the stories that Chinese folks are familiar with. They come in paperback chapter books that are affordable (Hua Mu Lan, Bai She Zhuan, Bao Qing Tian, Shui Wu Zhuan, Hong Lou Meng, Si You Ji, Niu Lang Zhi Nu, Zhai Gong, San Guo Ying Yi, Qi Xia Wu Yi, Etc, etc.) My girl is going into 6th grade. I have learned that she only reads what she wants to read. I'm just happy that she enjoys reading Chinese material no matter what the origin. Let us all know what you find at the bookstore.

• 2 years later...
  • New Members

A poetry appreciator like me, I would recommend 唐詩三百首. I knew some good books in both Chinese-English. Recently a friend bought one in one American company, not sure if it fits you http://www.usipusa.com/bookinfo.php?idx=14&pic=82002&gp=99#

You saw sample pages first before making any move.