Chinese-Forums

welcoming people to my wedding

markpete

Hi, I'm getting married this weekend and will need to say a few words in Mandarin at the reception. I took my best shot (below, in pinyin). Any suggestions for how to make this closer to something that a native speaker would say? Anything that makes no sense?

Thanks,

Mark

Ni3men2 hao3. Wo3 da1ying4 le0 Ran2yee2 wo3 jin1tian1 wan3shang4 shuo1 guo2yu3, suo3yi wo3 yong4 zhong1wen2 lai2 huan1ying2 da4jia1. Wo3men2 zhen4 gao1xing4 zai4 zher4 jian4 ni3men2. Wo3men2 dang1ran2 xi1wang4 chang2chang2 kan4 ni3men2. Xie4xie ni3men2 lai3.

Congratulations!

There were some tonal mistakes in the pīnyīn, which I've corrected for you below.

Nǐmen hǎo. Wǒ dāyìng le Rányeé wǒ jīntiān wǎnshàng shuō guóyǔ, suóyi wǒ yòng zhōngwén lái huānyíng dàjiā. Wǒmen zhēn gāoxìng zài zhèr jiàn nǐmen. Wǒmen dāngrán xīwàng chángcháng kàn nǐmen. Xièxie nǐmen lái.

Note that 'you [pl.]' is nǐmen, not nǐmén, and 'we' is wǒmen not wǒmén. mén means 'door', -men is a plural suffix. I'm guessing Rányeé is your fiancee, but that's not correct pīnyīn. Would you happen to know the characters as well?

Pay attention when you pronounce kàn nǐmen, as I would hate for your wedding to be enlivened by your mispronouncing it as gàn nǐmen which is an altogether less friendly thing to say ;)

There are some minor grammatical issues as well, but I think that's actually what the audience will be expecting. Let us know if you want us to correct them, anyway.

Congrats, Mark. Daan did a good job on the correction. however, there are a few place you can change would be more like how the native Chinese say it. changes in In bold

Nǐmen hǎo( or you can say dà jiā hǎo ). Wǒ dāyìng le Rányeé wǒ jīntiān wǎnshàng shuō guóyǔ, suóyi wǒ yòng zhōngwén lái huānyíng dàjiā. Wǒmen zhēn gāoxìng zài zhèr jiàn ( jiàn dào )nǐmen. Wǒmen dāngrán xīwàng chángcháng kàn nǐmén. Xièxie nǐmen lái (add Xièxie nǐmen lái cān jiā wǒ men de hūn lǐ ).

Hope it helps. Blessings!

• New Members

Dali's suggestion is highly recommended!

I would like to add one more:

How about to add two more words as “Wǒmen dāngrán xīwàng (néng)chángcháng kàn (jiàn) nǐmén”, to advoid any odd misunderstanding?