Chinese-Forums

Not renewing visas in Beijing

Josu-

Last few days I've been trying to renew my F visa in Beijing, and it looks like right now it's impossible to do...anyone with the same problem? In every agency they told that there was some law change, and at this moment "办不了" they only can do L visas...I have just started working (3 months contract) and today I talked to my boss about this problem and maybe tomorrow I can go to 雍和宫 to renew for 3 moths...but if this doesn't work, anyone knows another way? maybe go to another city??

thanks

Haven't heard anything, but it's not impossible - is there anything specific to your situation that might be the problem? How long have you been in China this trip, what passport do you have, etc?

I've just come back from HK last week in order to get a longer visa (the second time I came to Beijing was in August 26 th), for what they were saying is not a specific problem, is just a foreigner problem...right now the just don't renew any visa...there were more people with the same problem, they say they "变严" "北京市规定换了"。。。

sometimes depends on luck. if there is some major event in china then some people cannot get it. i remembered during the 08 olympics, foreigners in china were generally not allowed to renew visas, and those not in the country rejected visa application, like 2 months before the event. not to mention local chinese werent allowed to get into beijing. they want to keep beijing and shanghai clean and not so crowded etc. that 3 mths was the most quiet beijing i've ever experience after living 10 yrs there.

and if they have their annual 'parliament'(people's representatives meeting), most chinese would not be allowed in beijing too. same thing for 50th national day, 60th national day etc. they'll start catching road vendors and such. according to my police friends in the traffic department, they have quotas for issuing these summon tickets. usually its 10-20 a day depends on location. hit the mark they let go the rest. but during 08 olympics its like 70 a day every district, and he's complaining the detention centers are full.

these are so-called internal administrative orders. so it'll not be on any media.

well my boss won't help me with this...at least, it's looks like I can go to Qingdao (http://qdto.com/english/) to renew the visa (it seems that in Shanghai there are problems too...http://www.visainchina.com/visa3.htm), it's a bit expensive but 没办法

roddy, did you had any problem when you renewed your "Qingdao" visa in Beijing?

Visas have been notoriously difficult to get in Beijing for almost a year now. I don't know about going to Qingdao but as far as I'm aware it's still possible to go to Hong Kong to get it done. I got told I had to go all the way back to my country to get it done but I think it's fine as long as it's "not in China". I now have a Z visa but a friend of mine whose company neglected to renew his visa is just going to pay a visa service to get it all done. There are some pretty good visa services in Beijing; I'd suggest asking a more Beijing-specific forum like The Beijinger for advice. Take advice from other foreigners, not advertisers though.

Be aware that this doesn't seem to affect people who have a legitimate employer, school, business partner, etc. This is closing off of agency F visas for those of you (ahem) who don't meet the requirements for any decent length visa and don't want to be constantly extending tourist visas and running back and forth over borders.

I've been told there's 'hope' of change next week.

hmm I have a legitimate school, the problem is they are also more strict than in the past...if I want to renew the visa for 6 months or 1 year, I need to pay in advance 6 months or 1 years of classes. I want to keep studying in my school and working, but paying the school month to month, like before...

the "hope" for the next week maybe is the reason why Beijing Leeo can't confirm anything till monday...

• 2 months later...