Chinese-Forums

China 3G / UMTS Bands

tony1343

Hi,

This has maybe been asked already, but I can't find it.

I'm thinking about buying the Nexus One mobile phone in the US. But I want it to work when I go over to China (and possibly slap in a Chinese SIM card). The Nexus One is offered in two different options. One uses the following bands: 850 MHz, 1900 MHz, and 2100 MHz, and the other uses: 900 MHz, AWS, and 2100 MHz.

Which would work better for 3G in China? It seems that most of the world uses the second option. Unfortunately, that is T-Mobile in the U.S. which doesn't have the best coverage. Then again, the first option is AT&T and that network always seems to be overloaded with the iPhone (and more expensive). Thanks.

I did a little research, but maybe someone can verify or knows more.

In the US, there are 2 GSM 3G providers (AT&T and T-Mobile). They both use W-CDMA (UMTS) technology. T-Mobile's 3G service runs at the following frequencies: 1700 MHz AWS and 2100 MHz. AT&T's runs at: 850 MHz and 1900 MHz. So this is why the phones aren't very compatible between the networks. (Though I wonder, since the AT&T of the Nexus One also has 2100 MHz could you use that for 3G with T-Mobile that uses the 2100 MHz band? The 3G I guess wouldn't be as good for where 1700 MHz is used?).

China Unicom also uses W-CDMA technology and uses the 210 MHz band. Therefore, both versions of the Nexus One (and I'm guessing any T-Mobile or AT&T 3G phone) will work on China Unicom. This seems to square away with the fact that I had 3G service in Shanghai last summer.

China Mobile uses a different technology -- TD-SCDMA. It looks like this is only being used in China. So I'm guessing foreign phones aren't going to get 3G coverage with China Mobile. Can anyone confirm this?

China Telecom uses CDMA2000 technology. This looks to be what Verizon uses. And I think both operate on the 1900 MHZ / 800 MHz bands. So Verizon 3G phones can probably be used with China Telecom (and maybe Sprint?).

Anyone know if I am right or wrong?