Chinese-Forums

为 - I don't understand this usage

TCcookie

Hello all. I am translating parts of a Chinese company's standard operating procedures. I just finished, but there is one sentence I cannot understand. I almost posted this in the "Quick Translations" forum, but I want to know what is going on grammatically in this sentence:

5.3.1.4 由入职承办人于HR 系统中为报到人员新建员工系统资料,宿舍管理员为其分配宿舍。

The main problem is the function of 为 in this sentence, and I don't understand how the two phrases separated by the comma syntactically fit together. If you can help me understand this sentence, it will be greatly appreciated.

I think the first wéi 为 is similar to bèi 被. You can translate it into English as a passive voice marker, even though that's not what it is, as there is no passive voice in Mandarin. The second 为 is pronounced as wèi and means 'for'.

The sentence means, if I'm not mistaken, that housing arrangements will be made based on the information entered into the HR system by whoever is responsible for hiring new employees.

Some brackets/parentheses might help to make it easier to understand:

由(入职承办人)...于(HR 系统)中... 为(报到人员)新建(员工系统资料),(宿舍管理员)为(其)分配(宿舍)。

The(入职承办人)will create new (员工系统资料) for the (报到人员)in the (HR系统),and the(宿舍管理员)will (分配宿舍)for them.

其 = 报到人员

为([wèi],not [wéi])= for

Yeah, I'd have it as 'for', although the sentence isn't going to win any prizes for clarity and concision. Hope Kenny doesn't see that 由。。。于。。。为 thing that's going on, he'll have a fit.