Chinese-Forums

Beijing <--> Hong Kong/cheap way? Looking for blog...

diff

Hi,

I recently stumbled upon a blog-entry dealing with a cheap way to get to Hong Kong from Beijing. It was something like airplane/train/bus/ferry - unfortunately, I don't know where I saw it.

Does anyone remember on which site these travelling-tips were?

Thank you,

Daniel

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know the site you are looking for. Lonely Planet's Thorntree is a good place to go if you have specific travel questions.

The answer to your question is probably to fly from Beijing to Shenzhen then take a bus or ferry to Hong Kong. Shenzhen is just across the border from Hong Kong. Flying there is much cheaper than flying to HOng Kong.

Hi,

just returned from Hong Kong :D Booked a flight to Shenzhen and took the bus/train from there. The website I was looking for is http://home.wangjianshuo.com/archives/20040901_how_to_go_to_hong_kong_via_shen_zhen.htm

I really like the pic there... 8)

Thanks,

Daniel

@NateM: not all sites are blocked - and for the one's who are, there are proxies. Good overview: http://www.cybersyndrome.net/

Wang Jianshuo's site is a great resource - he spends a lot of time putting on practical information.

Basically, the cheapest way is probably going to be train to Shenzhen and walk / train across the border. Value for money though, suggests a flight to Shenzhen (especially if you can book in advance) and then the ferry from Shenzhen Airport (did this myself, easy, great fun, and drops you right in Kowloon).

Re: blogs - the large blog providers are blocked, as are a number of free providers of webhosting. Blogspot and typepad are ones that I think are blocked, and i"m sure there are others.

Roddy