Chinese-Forums

internet hook up in my apartment

gorae

HELP - for three days now I have tried to get Internet in my apartment. I gave the owner 1300 RMB for one year of high speed WIRED Internet - I just moved in this this flat and do not speak Chinese ( trying to learn) and he said he would help me ( he speak a little English - it was his major in school) . --- it is now ridiculous - for three days it has been one thing after another. He brought me an ADSL modem yesterday, and said the Internet should now work. It does not !!!!! Can some one tell me if the ISP is suppose to come to your flat and assist with hook up???? I do not get how it should just "magically happen""" In USA I had a CABLE modem and it was a no brainer to get on the web - just plug in the CAT 5 Ethernet from modem and the Macbook Pro was good to go --- However, years ago I had ADSL (which is what this Dalian access is) and I needed an IP address from the provider - before I could get on the web - can some one please clue me in on what's going on here??? The last lime I spoke to the owner he gave me an email address and told me to download software to my computer so I could get on the web --- well uhhhhh - if I can't get on the web how can I download to my computer PLUS this is a MAC not a pc.

HHHHHEEEEEELLLLLPPPP Please - much appreciated.

Should likely be a username and password - if I remember correctly my username in dalian was something along the lines of 201@PHONENUMBER. Check any documentation, the modem, modem box, etc, to see if it's been written anywhere. Failing that, either get your landlord to chase it up or phone the customer service number. Or you could drop in at their office.

Can some one tell me if the ISP is suppose to come to your flat and assist with hook up????

Tilt! It's not a "do-it-yourself" project for either you or your landlord. China Telecom, or the ISP you chose in your neighborhood, sends a technician to your house to install it and get you hooked up. You make an appointment for them to come. Your landlord can help you do that. You sign a contract with the company and pay all your fees directly to the them as well, not to your landlord. At least this is the way it has always worked for me.

Not quite - the company will sometimes send someone round, but once they've flicked the switch on their computer that turns the internet on it's really just a matter of putting all the cables in correctly and setting up the username and password on your computer or router.

Thanks for all the response but my dear land lord -AFTER I put 1300 RMB in his account - then decided --- instead of helping me set up a new user account with China Unicom - HE reinstated his own account with my money - I would like to think he is not dishonest - just an idiot - because I can not get on the Internet and because he reinstated a previous account _ NO MONEY BACK -- if I can not!!! I have a Mac Book Pro and I am at a lose WHERE to put in the user name and password - which apparently are his old user name and password -

In System Preferences I have the IP address from the ADSL modem he gave me and the Mac says Ethernet is connected but I can not get on the Internet---- where and how to put in account name which is a83690860@163.com and password ( which by the way - he is unsure of)

Thanks for all the help - I really hope I can figure this out

Mahalo

Christina

I doubt he could set up a new account, it's tied to the phone line which will be in his name. It's just a matter of paying them to activate ADSL for a year. You'll need to get the password - they can reset it for him if necessary - and then setting up the connection on your Mac should be straightforward.

Another option would be to pick up a wireless (or wired for that matter) router and put the details into that.

Yes you are correct - So, I went to China Unicom main office and got my own contract for a wireless account. I spent a considerable time there, and managed to find someone who spoke English well enough to understand my problem. They would not return the the 1300 for the ADSL - saying the landlord applied that amount to his old DSL account - BUT they did confirm that he gave me an incorrect password. I have to wonder about this guy - he acts like a total scatter brain. China Unicom had to call him several times to get him to go into one of their offices and provide a new password. If I would have gone to their office, in the first place, rather than trusting the owner to set up ADSL - a lot of time and energy would have been saved. Now I have both ADSL, and wireless as back up.

The ADSL is working - most of the time - I think the annoying disconnect issue has to do with the fact that the landlord provided me with the absolute cheapest modem he could find.

Thanks for all the help. It is great to be back online again.

Mahalo,

Christina