Chinese-Forums

Winter clothes/shoes in Harbin

vkim67

Several questions about winter clothes in Harbin~

(1) What fill down jackets would you recommend? I would probably be wearing it over a thermal and another tshirt or sweater

(2) What sort of shoes do you wear during the winter? does it have to be a particular type of boots? regular tennis shoes OK?

(3) do people wear jeans also (on top of tight knits) or something or is ther another type of pants that are more common?

(4) If i want to buy warm down jackets in Harbin, about how much would it cost? (like what would I aim to bargain it down to if I can?)

(5) any other tips?

• Like 1

Firstly, when will you be arriving? If you'll be arriving ahead of the winter, I recommend you wait until you're here before purchasing these things. You'll find everything you need (except quality thermals) a fraction of the price of what they are back home. This will also free-up space for you to pack other things, or at least travel lighter.

Your questions:

1. Mine is pretty low--30% I think--and it keeps me warm.

2. You'll want shoes that won't slip much on ice, as the whole city is often covered in ice throughout the entire winter. Thick shoes / boots with some type of lining would be good. Tennis shoes won't be warm enough. A lot of my colleagues have "outside boots" and then change into tennis shoes when they're inside.

3. Most Chinese where two layers of underpants--long johns under a thicker pair of long johns. On top of that they wear jeans or whatever else.

4. I bought mine for 500 RMB back in '06 and have been using it since. You can buy cheaper ones too.

5. You'll want warm gloves, a scarf and a good hat as well.

If you don't plan on being outside for more than it takes to walk to the store or bus than you don't need to worry so much. I never wore more than a pair of yoga pants under my jeans and nothing under my sweater and I was fine. Going to the ice festival was a different thing, but for day to day stuff it was ok. Granted, I have no idea what fill my jacket is and I spent about 900 RMB on it, so that might be why. I'd rather buy a heavy jacket and not wear so much underneath, but that is me. Def get shoes that won't slip. The sidewalks are crazy at winter. It really is ice just a giant piece of ice you walk on and the roads too. You don't want to fall on the road when you're trying to cross because that is a good way to get hit by a car/bus/bike. Like what was said before, don't bother bringing stuff from home...unless you are a much larger size person. Finding things in long or bigger sizes is not always easy =p

When you get here you can buy these electric (or normal) hot water bags that are amazing for keeping your hands (body) warm and pretty cheap.

Kdavid~ I'll be arriving Sept 2nd.

(a.) so would it be better to buy boots over there as well? I have small feet and have a hard time finding shoes in my size sometimes... I wear size 5 (sometimes even 4 1/2 in tennis shoes) in the US. Do you know about how much boots are?

(b.) is snowboarding gloves overkill? lol

(c.) hats.. like beanies right?

thanks! i've heard it is freeeezing but i have lived in southern california my entire life and i can't even imagine how it's supposed to feel. i don't know if i'm over or under estimating how it will be. :)

carol~ that's a great point. ill definitely have to remember that when i plan to stay in class/buildings all day because i hate sweating and taking off jeans off several layers of tights will be a hassle... i didn't even think of electric bags. maybe it won't be so bad after all! :)

thanks again to both!

• 2 weeks later...

@vkim67

A. Get your boots over here. Look for "Kangaroos" (袋鼠 in Chinese). I wore a pair of those for the first time this last winter and didn't slip once. My mother-in-law bought these for me, but I think they were around 2 - 300 RMB.

B. Yes. If you have a down-coat with pockets, normal gloves will do. If your gloves are too thick, you won't be able to use your hands at all.

C. A beanie would be fine. You'll also want a good scarf.

i plan to stay in class/buildings all day because i hate sweating and taking off jeans off several layers of tights will be a hassle

Okay, be careful with this. I'm often much colder inside than I am outside. This is largely because I'm moving around outside, but not inside. Apartments, schools, classrooms, etc. can almost be as cold as outside sometimes. As such, you should still plan on wearing layers.

I promise you, it's much better to be warm and take stuff off than not to have enough to put on and freeze!