Chinese-Forums

measure words

frostybird

Hi,

A few months ago I wanted to buy a guitar string (just one), so on my way to the music shop I started to prepare what I was going to say... 我想买一... wait... is it 一个吉它线? But a guitar string is long and thin, so maybe it's 一枝... On the other hand, it's thin and slender, almost like a needle... 一根?

When I got there, I believe I used 枝, and she understood me, but it led to some questions about measure words.

Is it, after all, something I should really worry about? I assume using 个 for everything just makes you sound like an ignorant monkey. It's no problem finding long lists of measure words online, but learning to use them properly, beyond books and pencils, has me puzzled.

Thanks

The correct measure word to use in your situation would be 条, which is the measure word used for ropes and strings. 枝 is used for long, thin objects that are rigid, whereas 条 is used for objects that are long and flexible (it's also used to measure snakes and fish).