Chinese-Forums

Suddenly: CHINA!!

gorkeman

Hi friends!

I´m new into this forum, and the reason for it is that, all of a sudden, I´m about going to China for some months.

I work in a multinational company, and I was offered to move there for some months to work in some project.

I guess I couldn´t be luckier, if I only had to think of a country I would like to go to, that would be China, yes.

However, lack of time didn´t let me go as deep into its culture and history as I wanted.

Moreover, the kind of information I would like to get is not in books normally... I already saw in this forum that you guys are friendly people, so here are my questions :)

- what is the average monthly income? it would be great if you can also

give me prices for common stuff (a normal meal, drinks, clothes...)

- is there any vaccine/medicine I should take before I go?

- I´m asmatic, is it easy to find medicines like in Europe?

- any advice about banking? I have a spanish bank, and normally a visa

card should be ok, no?

- any webpage where I can look for train/transport to travel around?

- anything else you think might be useful :)

Oh, I still don´t know what city I´m going to, but it´s one of these: Qingdao, Shekou, Shanghai, Xiamen, Taipei.

I will be so thankful if you only could help me.

Thaaaaaank you!!!

PS: I´m still dealing with my first chinese characters...

Hello, welcome to china.

I am a native people who lives in xiamen. And if you come here, you will find much warm hearted people. It's gorgeous. Really. Here, the mean salary is not very high, maybe RMB 2,000. And you can finish a normal meal by spending less than RMB20. There is another name for xiamen which is called amoy. Amoy is magical which has an honor of the garden on the sea.

For medical information, go see your own doctor and tell him your going to China.

It's probably best to stock up with the asthma medication you need for the duration of the trip, and take it with you to China.

I wouldn't rely on credit cards, you can use them in major cities etc, but it's best to rely on cash.

These tips are for mainland China, I think it is easier for foriegners to get around in Taipei

TRAVEL:

For train information (times, cost) check out

this[/http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-trains/index.htm]

for travel by flight, this:

http://www.ctrip.com

or

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/china-flights/index.htm

HEALTH:

There is some western medicine available, but the hospitals that cater to foreigners are on the expensive side. Asthma I have no idea about. If you bring medicine, make sure you bring the prescription and the generic name. That is for customs checking, and for refills. For customs, you should also bring a note from your doctor. Maybe you could have ti translated at the CHinese embassy, although I do not think its necessary.

You should have basic vaccinations, like hepatitis, and... you know, the basic ones. If you are in the Big cities it is not such a big risk. If you are in the south, you will need to to get more. I don't knwo which, because the south is too hot for me. :) Best to talk to your doctor though.

BANKING:

You can use your Visa, but there are sometimes problems, with blocked cards (ususally blocked by your won country). I have heard stories from Japanese and Equadorian banks, where they took extra money that the person never withdrew. Also, your credit card will charge you for withdrawing moeny (maybe 5 dollars, or more), and you can only withdraw money at Bank of China banks, daily limit of 2500. (unless you go to a special bank and go inside) It is a pain. But, since you are here for only a short time, you should be fine. Bringing travelers checks for getting settled is a good idea. And then you don't have to worry about bank problems.

or

You can consider opening a local bank account, and ask for an atm card. Then you can withdraw money at any bank. You can transfer money electronically from your home account (or just bring travleres checks and then change them and deposit) and change it and redeposit it. To open an account, you just need to go to a major branch of Bank of China with your passport. Plus then, you can withdraw as much money as you want, whenever and wherever. Keep in mind that if you transfer money elecrtonically, you have to ask for the us dollars (that is how is arrives, I think) on your account, not just how much money there is. It does NOT automoatically show dollars.

COSTS:

depending on where you shop, it can be really expensive or cheap or average. You could also consider having clothes made, which is quite inexpesnice, I have heard around 200 RMB for a suit. If you find teh right place.

It is true that you can eat for under 20 RMB at smaller palces, and if you want to get nicer food, you might be looking at 50 to 200 RMB(really expensive). Drinks, if you like cheap beer, can be 4 RMB for a bottle of beer (liter) or 20-45 for mixed drinks and coctails, depending on where you go.

Its the same with renting an apartment, but it starts at 150-250 dollars, and can go up to 500-1000 dollars per month. most of the people in this forums are probably the first one.

Language: www.hanyu.com.cn is a good site that has interactive dialogues with pinyin pronunciation and characters for starters.

worth cheking out.

Other than that...

Let us know if you need any more help.

[/url]

Do you think there would be any problem taking into the country the medication? I mean customs, whatever... It´s going to be about 3 months, which is already quite a lot of medication...

Make sure you have your doctor write a letter explaining why you have 3 months supply of medication etc, and just take it with you incase customs ask questions.

If you require a lot of medicine, it's better to bring your own, as the stuff you use may not be easily available in China.