Chinese-Forums

Help me find some music

deathtrap

Hi!

I've looked through this forum and found some great music but not all of it is to my taste, either that or the music is hosted on sites that are blocked from outside China. I'd like your help in finding groups/bands. I'm looking for Mandarin songs and it doesn't matter whether they're from the mainland or Taiwan.

What I like:

Metal

Hard Rock

Soft Rock

R&B

Hip Hop

I'm surprised I'm having a hard time finding songs in those genres but I keep coming up with a ton of bubblegum pop with whiny 20 somethings singing how their love doesn't like the cookies they like( for example ;p )

Where are the songs with great melodies and lyrics that mean something? Are the Chinese hiding them from me? Did I do something to piss them off? Am I responsible for the civil war between the PRC and ROC? :P

Thanks for your help.

My favorites:

Alternative:

二手玫瑰 (soft/hard rock)

扭曲的机器 (metal)

果味VC (soft rock)

Carsick Cars (soft/hard rock)

Mainstream:

周杰伦 (hip-hop)

飞轮海 (pop but with some really nice tunes)

S.H.E. (some rock/rap songs are nice)

胡彦斌 (don't know why, but i love his 红歌 EP)

许巍 (soft rock)

任贤齐 (pop rock)

Check them out on Google Music. If you're looking for individual songs, I'd be happy to recommend some.

http://www.rockinchina.com/

You'll find all sorts of rock, punk, alternative and metal over there. No bubblegum pop.

There are some very good podcast radio-shows with introductions and lots of songs, all linked from the main page. Particularly the "Rock in China Radio" and "Dragon Radio" had a number of interesting bands.

That would be a good start.Then you can scour youtube, youku, tudou and similar once you've found a few bands you like.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

My personal taste in music runs the pop/rock line, but for that I'd second the recommendation of 果味VC, and add 便利商店, 旅行团, and Perdel to that list. For more punky stuff, Carsick Cars is definitely the place to go, as well as Gar (嘎调), Queen Sea Big Shark (后海大鲨鱼), and New Pants (新裤子). Ashura (which I haven't seen a lot of lately...) is a great metal/pop punk mix. Steely Heart (铁钢的心) is a great, solid rock band. Rustic is a great punk group. There's plenty out there, just trawl 豆瓣 for a few hours, clicking around.

• Like 2