Chinese-Forums

Aftershock -- the movie -- 大地震

abcdefg

I saw this film a few days ago and really got swept up in its drama and its scope. Anyone who has lived here during the past two big earthquakes, Wenchuan (Sichuan 2008) and this year's Qinghai (Tibet) earthquakes and was saturated in the emotional TV coverage cannot help but be affected by this big screen spectacle.

The acting and directing were solid and the story line had its share of surprises if you haven't read too many reviews. When I went to see it the ticket price had been increased to 75 Yuan, but it was still well worth it.

Here the name of the film is 唐山大地震. Is it called just 大地震 in China?

In the posters I have seen for the film (in Australia), 大地震 is written in big characters and 唐山 is written less prominently at the side, so I originally thought it was called just 大地震 and only afterwards realised 唐山 is part of the title.

I first got interested in Chinese through a Chinese friend I had in high school. His 名字 is 震 and he was born in 1976 so I've just realised he must have been named for the 唐山大地震.

Anyway, the film is great, very moving. Probably even more so if you have kids, I remember my mother telling me she had terrible nightmares after watching Sophie's Choice (which has a similar theme done a bit differently).

Here the name of the film is 唐山大地震. Is it called just 大地震 in China?

My ticket stub just says 《大地震》。I saw it in 福建福州。Looking at some mainland on-line reviews just now, I do see the official name written as 《唐山大地震》。

Just came back from seeing it with my girlfriend. A superb piece of cinema which moved the both of us, and made me a lot more impressed than than I had expected. I was glad the scope was focused on the emotional journey of the family through age, and not a Hollywood-style effects extravaganza - the interrelated stories strung together very well, and the actng was really superb; very authentic and moving. The earthquake scene itself and its aftermath were also done very well; it hammered in hard the emotional impact, was not a show-off of digital effects, and really gave a feel to the sheer horror and sadness of the situation.

I think it's certainly worth watching. Xiaogang Feng has a string of very praiseworthy work, and is a very capable Chinese director - Assembly being just one example of his best work.

I saw this film this morning. I think it is quite good, way better than 集結號.

陳道明's voice and accent are very charming.

There is one line in the film - the father of the family says when the earthquake begins "天怎麽紫了" (or something like this). I was just wondering about that colour. Is it true that the sky turns purple when there is an earthquake? If it is true, what is the reason?

@skylee

First, thanks for pointing this out. Not sure I've heard about this before.

While this may not be satisfying, Wikipedia [and information found on the USGS [uS Geological Survey] website] indicates the best that can be said at this time is:

"Earthquake lights are caused by an unknown mechanism. There are numerous theories as to how and why they occur."

Some theories:

1. electric fields created piezoelectrically [electricity resulting from pressure] by tectonic movement

2. local disruption of the Earth's magnetic field

3. light emission produced by ionization or plasma-chemical reactions

There are also individuals and conspiracy theory groups who attribute it to HAARP [High Frequency Active Auroral Research Program].

• Like 1

SiMaKe, thanks very much for posting about earthquake light. I didn't even know it had a name.

Another observation about the film. At the end of the film the credits show that some actors have the surname 呂, and the name is romanised as Lv. I was quite dissappointed seeing that. And the version I saw had traditional subtitles. But the surname 肖 was still shown as 肖. I think it is kind of a pity.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I liked it; parts of it were very powerful. The characters weren't just archetypes; most of them seemed three-dimensional. The feel of the film as "the epic sweep of history shown through the lives of one family" with nostalgia and patriotism, put me in mind of 50's American films (in a good way).

I went to see what other films the director had made, and saw I've already seen most of the ones available.

• 2 months later...