Chinese-Forums

Guitar into China??

gorkeman

You'd have no trouble bringing it in or out, apart from the obvious physical hassle of carrying it. You could buy one here - can't really comment on prices, as I haven't bought one here for four years, despite always saying I will . . .

Roddy

I should think it's ok, I once bought a Erhu in China, and when I tried to bring it out of China they said it was too big so they put a sticker on and then I was allowed through. I've forgotten if it was let throug as hand luggage though, I think it was. Be careful you don't get the guitar crushed though.

gorkeman,

I've purchased two steel-string acoustic guitars in China. The first one was a Star*Sun which is (I think) a Chinese brand. It cost me about Y300 (about $36 US), and the quality was not too bad.

The second one I found was in Beijing. It only had an 'S' on it, was about Y350 (I bargained it down from Y500 8) ), and sounded much better than the first.

If you want to buy a quality name-brand, expect to pay Y1000 and up (about $120).

I don't know where you're going, but Xinjiekou in Beijing has lots of small music shops with reasonable prices. Don't forget to bargain!