Chinese-Forums

Visa and Residence Permit differences?

Seph

• New Members

I'm going to be changing my Z (work) visa into an X (study) visa, and I noticed when I was filling out the visa application form, it asks me what kind of a visa I will be applying for; 3 month single entry, 6 month single entry, 12 month multiple entry etc...

Is the visa just going to be cancelled when I arrive in Beijing and get my residence permit? Should I just apply for a 3 month visa and save myself the money?

Also, because I'll be leaving China during the winter and summer holidays, will this factor in at all?

Thanks in advance:)

Hi Seph,

I'm not sure if this exactly matching your situation, but from: http://www.visarite.com/faq.htm

I recently received my Student X Visa for China. However, I noticed that the "duration of stay" listed on the visa is 000 days. I assume that this means my length of stay is indefinite, but I wanted to make sure. Is this correct, or was this a typo?

That is not a typo. Duration of Stay listed as 000 means to be determined. It is required by law that you register with local public security bureau with 30 days of arrival. Your student visa will be converted to Residence Permit. Duration of stay will be specified by then. Residence Permit normally allows you exit and enter China multiple times within it's validity.

Hope that helps? =\

Seph,

I think you can apply for an X Visa, if you have an invitation (from the school) at your local Chinese embassy.

Even if you enter China with a F visa, it can be changed at the local PSB with the documents provided by your school.

So, I wouldn't recommend paying the additional fees, only if you are certain that your school will provide the necessary documents for an X visa.

good luck!

Visas and residence permits are different forms.

If you live off-campus, you'll have to register

at the local police station.

You'll need a copy of the landlord's ID, the lease,

and a copy of your passport.

I myself was confused with the "visa and residence permit" issue,

as my Z-visa states "residence permit" on the top of the visa.

:L

A Z-visa is an entry visa allowing someone to enter China to take up employment. It must be changed for a residence permit within 30 days, upon which it expires and the residence permit replaces the Z visa and becomes the only valid document.

So, a Z-visa cannot say Residence Permit at the top - they are two different things.

The residence permit allows you to enter and leave China freely during its validity, effectively operating like a multi-entry visa.

Registering your address with the local PSB is a totally different matter and nothing to do with residence permits or visas!