Chinese-Forums

Recommended books

Pravit

I've worked through "Modern Chinese: A Basic Course by the Faculty of Peking University" and I picked up "Teach Yourself Chinese" as well, although I got bored with the TY since it seems to concern itself mainly with tourist situations. I can speak very basic Chinese. What would you suggest to improve, short of enrolling in a class? I actually plan on taking a class next semester, but my university has only one basic Chinese class and I have no idea how good it is. I'd also like to go on a summer program to some Chinese universities, but I'd much rather know some Chinese first.

My recommendations: for grammar, try

Basic Chinese: A Grammar and Workbook by Yip Po-Ching and Don Rimmington. They also have an intermediate level grammar book, and now a larger comprehensive book. The basic and intermediate are both about $25 on amazon, and the big one is I think $50. These books teach grammar in a very clear way, with numerous examples and practice exercises with answers.

For vocabulary: I'm using Schaum's Outline of Chinese Vocabulary, which I am finding very helpful. It does have a lot of stuff about the airport/hotel and other traveller topics, but there are also many sections useful for day-to-day things, like home words, city words, food, entertainment, etc.