Chinese-Forums

Chinese-forums.com Blogs

roddy

A relatively new feature here on Chinese-forums.com is the ability for user to set up their own weblog here on the site. I, and some much-beloved contributors, have been doing this to great effect with the wonderful Signese if you want to see what one looks like.

Several other members have also started blogs, although as yet I wouldn't say we've got many regular bloggers.

Info for those who might be interested:

If you want a fully-featured weblog, you're probably better off looking elsewhere. This is more an add-on to the forums software than an independent blogging platform.

That said, a weblog on here plugs right in to an active community of people interested in - well, you know the kind of stuff. Signese is getting way more attention now than it ever did as an independent website, just because new posts are visible to members here as they visit the site.

In terms of content, posts do need to be generally in line with the site overall - learning Chinese, life in China, Chinese culture, etc. Study journals, a diary of your first year in China, that kind of thing.

It's also possible to have blogs with more than one contributor, private blogs, and to have blogs powered by off-site RSS feeds. If you can think of someway to use this that will benefit the site overall, speak up.

That's all I can think of at the moment. If you have any queries or suggestions, shoot. If you want to create a blog you can do so from here - choose local blog on the second page. You can if you want just add a link to an external blog, but to be honest they're not featured very prominently - you'll be better off adding a link to your signature.

roddy, don't know why my redirecting function is gone and back to the original blog format. Since I've got nothing to contribute mainly on Chinese learning in my blog here, would you mind just deleting my blog, for I don't know how and I don't have the right since I'm not an administrator. Thanks!

How? Skylee. It's gone. I didn't know what happened to my blog when I last checked all listed blogs. Seemed that yours and Meng Lelan's redirecting functions are fine. Anyway, mine is not about Chinese learning, so it's fine to be gone. :P

Yes, skylee. I've read your comment days ago and replied to you as well. But I found my blog here has changed to the original blog format, that's why I asked roddy to delete it. Thanks for visiting my blog. I hope you enjoy it. :)

• 6 months later...

What is considered good content for a blog on here? I know a few blogs have rare post that only feature a few thoughts on what they're learning... I've considered doing a full-fledged blog on my Chinese learning, and maybe it would help me stay motivated. I'd start one on here, but I don't want to fill up the blogs with posts like "Today I'm struggling with getting myself motivated, again... try better tomorrow" or "Today I I'm work on my vocabulary..." etc... ya-know what I mean?

Maybe you can look through the blogs already on the forums here and get some ideas of your own. A while ago there was somebody in here compiling a list of blogs written in Chinese by non-Chinese and that may be a starting point for ideas. You're right that a "I learned XX, I am learning YY, I will learn ZZ" blogs will get zzzzzzzz from tired readers.

What is considered good content for a blog on here?

I would just say it should be relevant to China / Chinese learning, and there should be a reasonable chance that someone is going to want to read it. Some kind of study journal would certainly work, but you'd want to have actual details on what you're studying - chances are someone here has just studied the same thing, what problems you're having, questions (ie comment bait). Four weeks of 'really got to start studying tomorrow' isn't going to be overly welcome.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I can post random statements in Chinese as Status Updates. I enjoy reading those. But would someone please explain how I can post these into my blog "My Notebook: Experiments in Second Grade Literacy", in a way that will make it serve as a good blog here?

edit: I think I figured it out.