Chinese-Forums

Why is the record of own posts limited to the last year only?

anonymoose

I tried to search for an interesting thread I started four years ago (regarding the best way to just say "Why not!" in answer to questions such as ... "why did you study Mandarin?" or in that particular case "Why did you cycle around the third ring road?") but couldn't find it.

I assume things got purged during the upgrade? Dunno.

I have the opposite "problem". According to my profile I started this topic: http://www.chinese-forums.com/index.php?/topic/24246-help-me-please-what-word-is-this/page__p__201250#comment-201250

but actually I replied on a question (by "nowhere"). Either the message was removed or got lost while transfering to the new software.

I've just upped the number of posts you'll get both via the 'my content' links and search. If you're looking for something way back you can specify date ranges on the advanced search page. There is still a limit of 1000 results returned, but given there's only a handful of us with that many posts . . .

Bert, I'm not sure what's happening there, but will (probably, if nothing shinier comes along) take a look later.

Have fixed that topic now - not sure what happened, but I suspect I might have messed things up splitting / merging topics. Don't recall doing it though, perhaps I was drunk in control of a forum again.

Oh, and incidentally, we've never purged any content - it's all there, right back to 2003. Obviously there's the odd thread now and then that we just don't want, but there's never been a bulk chucking out of old content. One of the things on my list of things to do (stop laughing at the back) is go through the old topics and delete the ones of no plausible value, but there's 20,000 plus of them, so . . .

'Course, finding it is another matter . . .

Edity edit:

For Adrian. Your profile > My content > Topic's I've started. Alternatively if you recall what you titled it, Advanced Search > "why not" > titles only > Search. 'Why not' is obviously a very common phrase, so just searching for that with no other info is a bit of a problem.

• Like 1

adrianlondon / my profile / topics (tab)

Only lists a few topics

adrianlondon / my profile / find my content (under photo) / view all topics adrianlondon has started (drop-down)

Lists all topics (how I found my thread)