Chinese-Forums

Anita Mui (Mui Yim Fong) Anniversary

ThePhatGentleman

10 October marks the birth of Mui Yim Fong. Her birthday popped into my head when I was listening to one of her albums. She is one of my favorite actors/singers. The main reason is due to her lack of ego and strong spirit. Also, she is a great performer. I hope she rests in peace.

Chinese superstar Anita Mui has died in Hong Kong of cervical cancer. She was 40.

Anita was a household name in Asia and often compared to Madonna. She had released 46 albums during her career. The singer was also a famed actress and starred in more than 40 movies.

Anita died peacefully at the Hong Kong Sanitorium hospital, surrounded by family and friends including close friend Jackie Chan and his manager Willie. At the Jackie Chan website, Willie writes "Anita passed away peacefully at 2:35 am on Tuesday, Dec 30, 2003. Most of her beloved friends, including Jackie and me, stood by her side at the hospital right to the very end. Most of us held back our tears as that was one of her very last wishes and we respect that because Anita is the kind of lady who always put friends before self. That's why we love her so and we will sadly miss her, we will miss her movies, her concerts and definitely the hundreds (or is it thousands?) of songs that have been a part of Hong Kong life for the past 20 years."

Anita announced she had cancer in September following media speculation. It was the same disease which took the life of her sister Ann.

She was born Mui Yim Fong on October 10, 1963 and was just five years old when she began singing in theatres. In 1982, Anita won a talent contest but it was a few years later when she had her breakthrough hit with 'Homecoming'.

Her biggest album was 1986's 'Bad Girl'. The album is the biggest selling Cantonese language record ever in Hong Kong.

Anita's last tour was in May. Her most recent movie, The House of Flying Daggers, is expected to surface in 2004.