Chinese-Forums

Is 卧虎藏龙 a good resource for learning chinese?

heianderen

Is 卧虎藏龙 a good resource for learning chinese?

I wonder if this movie uses some kind of archaic or literary language...

Qingming Jian, Jiumentidu and other nouns apart, is it useful to learn everyday language?

I like this movie, and it would be very nice to learn chinese from it.

One caveat about the movie though... a lot of Mandarin speakers complain about the accents of Chow Yun Fat and Michelle Yeoh since Mandarin is not their native language (they normally speak Cantonese). Some people say their accents were so hard to listen to that they had to read the subtitles.

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the movie about 5 times and read the script in Chinese as well, for the purpose of improving my Chinese. If you are a beginning to lower intermediate student then I would not recommend it, as the language is not modern colloquial speech, or at least large parts of it are not. Some of it is older, literary style, and there are quite a few terms in it which are only found in stories of this genre. The fact that the accents of the lead actors were a bit odd was not as big a detractor as it was for native ears.

That being said, if you are an upper intermediate to very advanced student, then this movie and its script are a fine and enjoyable challenge if you wish to tackle it. I'd recommend studying the script in order to help you pick up the vocabulary, and then watch it with a VCR (or tape record the sound) so you can play phrases and sentences back more conveniently.

And anyway, heck, I could watch Zhang Ziyi all day...

• 6 months later...
I saw the movie about 5 times and read the script in Chinese as well' date=' for the purpose of improving my Chinese. If you are a beginning to lower intermediate student then I would not recommend it, as the language is not modern colloquial speech, or at least large parts of it are not. Some of it is older, literary style, and there are quite a few terms in it which are only found in stories of this genre. The fact that the accents of the lead actors were a bit odd was not as big a detractor as it was for native ears.

That being said, if you are an upper intermediate to very advanced student, then this movie and its script are a fine and enjoyable challenge if you wish to tackle it. I'd recommend studying the script in order to help you pick up the vocabulary, and then watch it with a VCR (or tape record the sound) so you can play phrases and sentences back more conveniently.

And anyway, heck, I could watch Zhang Ziyi all day...[/quote']

Kentsuarez, (if you're still there) do you have a softcopy of 臥虎藏龍 (Crouching Tiger)? Any chance, I can get it off you? I can offer some Japanese anime scripts in return (if interested).

I am also interested in getting the script of Hero (英雄).

Regards,

Anatoli