Chinese-Forums

General Degrees of Politeness

AlexanderH

Is 來一杯茶 a perfectly standard way to order? Where does this apply? Personally I find this quite rude really. IMO 給我一杯茶 is not polite either.

SiMaKe's is a very good suggestion. I also suggest using 可以 ......嗎. And don't forget 謝謝.

It's OK to say 给我一杯水 or 给我一杯咖啡。But if you want to make it more polite, you can change it to 请给我一杯水 or 请给我一杯咖啡。You can try our talking phrasebook China2Go( www.hnhsoft.com) to enhance your knowledge in Chinese.

Agree with SiMaKe and Kenny. One thing I would bear in mind is that, just because you see other people ordering things and talking to people in a certain way, doesn't mean this is the best, or most polite way to do it. Even in Beijing, where this kind of direct approach is common, I still have Chinese friends who use pleases and thank yous, and it always comes across nicely. I think that, as a foreigner in a strange land, it's always best to err on the side of politeness.

Another thing is that, what goes in some areas might not be acceptable in other areas. I remember the first time I went to Taiwan being surprised how often Taiwanese people actually used words like please and thank you. The northern Chinese-style "gimme a beer" didn't seem so appropriate in this context. Once I had realised this, I tried adding a few "请" and "麻烦" when i was back in the mainland, and it always went down quite well.