Chinese-Forums

pz English to Chinese Dictionary

Learning Together

This online dictionary is great for someone like me: I have a Chinese-American wife and a new ten-week-old son, and, having failed in the past to learn more than a few words of Mandarin, I am hoping that I can now learn with our baby.

I need to see the Mandarin words written in pinyin before I can begin to remember them - just hearing the words doesn't work for me.

Does anyone know if the pz English to Chinese dictionary, which is the best I've found online, might become available at some point for Palm-based handhelds, such as my Treo 600?

It would also be great if, later on, the pz dictionary could add sound files with the pronunciation of the words in Mandarin and English.

Does anyone know if the pz English to Chinese dictionary, which is the best I've found online, might become available at some point for Palm-based handhelds, such as my Treo 600?

Thank you! :D Yes, at some point. This is a very good idea.

It would also be great if, later on, the pz dictionary could add sound files with the pronunciation of the words in Mandarin and English.

Adding sounds is also another great idea. In the meantime, try using NJStar Chinese Pen.

Using Chinese Pen, when you highlight the Chinese Characters, then click a button, you can hear the words in Mandarin Chinese. You can even adjust the speed of the pronounciation. Pazu showed me this program in a thread a while ago. It's very nice.

Also, thanks for the link to Pleco, Roddy. It's pretty cool.

Hi geek_frappa

Did you create the pz dictionary? If so, congratulations, it's great & really user-friendly. It's a little weird that when you look up a word like "cute", the first word that comes up is "execute" - but as a writer, I find that kind of fascinating, too. I also liked the fact that when I looked up "beer", a couple of brands came up as well, like, "Tsing-Tao".

Hope you can get a Palm version going at some point.

Best wishes,

Alexander

yes, i created it. :-) it needs more improvement, though.

this is the older search tool version:

http://chinese.primezero.com/pzcdz/u.php?search=cute

this is the newer search tool version (soleri edition):

http://chinese.primezero.com/soleri/q.php?q=cute

i'm still working to improve the results in my spare time ...

You probably don't want to hear this, but I really like the layout of the older version, with the Mandarin characters in the big red block.

It makes it easier to read the English/pinyin information below, and also makes it very easy for your eye to shift from one word or phrase and its translations/definitions to the next. I think it also makes it easier to read the Mandarin - not that I can!

I don't find the newer version as easy to read at a glance. I was hoping that a Palm version would be like the older version - I really love those big red blocks!!

In any case, it's a great dictionary. Thanks.

You probably don't want to hear this, but I really like the layout of the older version, with the Mandarin characters in the big red block.

actually i do enjoy hearing this feedback... :-) this is why i have left the previous version online. your feedback is sooo valuable. it strongly influences development decisions.

It makes it easier to read the English/pinyin information below, and also makes it very easy for your eye to shift from one word or phrase and its translations/definitions to the next. I think it also makes it easier to read the Mandarin - not that I can!

i agree, the contrast is much better in the older edition.

I don't find the newer version as easy to read at a glance. I was hoping that a Palm version would be like the older version - I really love those big red blocks!!

:-) yes, smaller/palm/portable versions demand better contrast for the eyes. i will be sure to use similar color schemes in the future versions.

feel free to send more feedback.

Just wondered if you would be interested in having an agency represent your dictionary and try to get you some kind of electronic publishing deal? I am a novelist & screenwriter & I would be happy to ask my agency if they would be interested in representing the dictionary. Obviously I can't guarantee that they would want to, but I would certainly let them know how helpful I find your dictionary. If you're not interested now, or don't feel ready, just let me know if/when you are. I can see how you might also prefer the freedom of developing it on your own. :)

I have emailed my UK agent, since they may be best placed to explore the electronic publishing (and other) rights intially - they also have offices or relationships throughout the world. I'll let you know what they say.

If you want to contact me directly (with your name, not that I don't like geek_frappa), I'm at: shelter@mobsters.com.

You can check out my credits at:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0835635/

Hope it's great in Hong Kong, if that's where you are now.

I'm afraid my British agent didn't really know where to begin, in terms of marketing the pz dictionary:

"Many thanks for thinking of us. There could be gold in them there hills and yet, I wouldn’t know where to begin and there is nobody here who suggests himself. If I have any bright ideas I’ll let you know."

I'll see if anyone here in LA has any ideas. It's great that it's free right now, but it would good to license perhaps a more sophisticated version with sound files, and for other applications like Palm-based OS.