Chinese-Forums

Help with Composition Please (Topic is Airport)

bmw_f1_power

Hi everyone, I've been working through the first chapter of Schaum's Outline of Chinese Vocabulary, the airport words, and now I'm writing a little story to practice using the words. I would like some help with the grammar (and word choice) of what I have written so far (I'm not just copying sentences from the book so I'm not sure how to say a few things). I would like in particular some advice on my use of

把 ba3 (I have just started using 把 sentences), and also 自己. I don't actually have it in my writing, but I saw it used in my book in the place of 他的 if 他 had just been mentioned, but I'm not quite sure of its usage (the sentence was 他出示了自己的机票。I’d like to know why they said 自己的 and not 他的)

One more thing, is 了 used with 有 in the past? I assumed it would be because 有 is a verb, but I saw 有 in the past-tense without 了 somewhere, so I'm not sure.

I appreciate any help you can give. :wink:

小先生星期日早上走了他的家。他先坐了出租车去地铁站然后坐了地铁去飞机场。地铁站在机场前面所以他不得从站坐公共汽车去机场。好在他只有了两件行李。

小先生进机场去马上去航空公司的柜台办理登机手续。因为机场很忙,有了不少乘客们在柜台和他得了排队。他到接待柜台时出示他的机票,护照,和中国签证。航空公司的职员检查证件以后,他托运他的行李。他有了一件箱子和一件公文包。公文包能放进上头的行李舱,所以他只有了一件行李托运。职员把行李托运标签贴在他的箱子上。职员也给了小先生一张行李领取单。他把箱子给职员以后,职员把登机牌给小先生。

In the last sentence, if I said 他给箱子职员以后,职员给小先生登机牌, would it not be clear who was giving what? It should mean "After he (Mr. Xiao) gave the suitcase to the agent, the agent gave Mr. Xiao a boarding pass."

Consider the blue ones (I have also taken away many 了, especially 有了.) ->

蕭(肖)先生星期日早上出門。他先坐出租车去地铁站然后坐地铁去飞机场。地铁站在机场前面所以他不用再轉乘公共汽车去机场。好在他只有两件行李。 (Is this what you mean? -> The subway station is in front of the airport so he didn't have to take a bus. Fortunately he only had two baggages. (doesn't make sense))

先生进机场马上去航空公司的柜台办理登机手续。因为机场很忙,有不少乘客在柜台办理手续,所以他得排队。他柜台出示他的机票护照和中国签证。航空公司的职员检查证件以后,便為辦理托运行李。他有一個行李箱和一公文包。公文包能放进机舱的行李,所以他只托运了一件行李。职员把行李托运标签贴在他的箱子上,先生一张行李领取单。蕭先生把箱子给职员以后,职员便把登机牌

Consider using 到 to replace some of the 去's for more variety of words.

skylee, thanks very much for your helpful reply. I am going to review all the corrections you made (I don't know all the words yet, but they will be good to know), but first I have a couple questions.

地铁站在机场前面,所以他不用再轉乘公共汽车去机场。好在他只有两件行李。 (Is this what you mean? -> The subway station is in front of the airport so he didn't have to take a bus. Fortunately he only had two baggages. (doesn't make sense))

About this part, that is what I meant to say (by bus I mean shuttle bus, I don't know about in Hong Kong but in America a lot of the airports aren't very close to subway or train stations). I should however take out or change the part about the luggage. I should say he had to walk but fortunately he only had two pieces of luggage. I thought 件 was the measure word for luggage, but I see I was wrong (谢谢您).

About 去 and 到, I have mostly used 到 to mean "to arrive," or in a sentence like "他到机场坐出租车" (meaning "He took a taxi to the airport, right?). If I just said "他到机场," it would mean he arrived at the airport, correct?

If I have anymore questions after reviewing the blue corrections I will post them here.

Thank you again for your help.

Shuttle bus can be translated to 穿梭巴士 or 接駁巴士. You may consider rewriting the sentence to "地铁站在机场前面所以他可以直接走進機場,用再轉乘穿梭巴士。雖然要走點路,好在他只有两件行李,並不辛苦。"

件 is the measure word for 行李。 But for 旅行袋 / 箱子 / 行李箱 / 公文包 etc, I would use 個.

"He took a taxi to the airport." = "他坐(乘)出租车到机场。"