Chinese-Forums

Poem and China

Clarie

The following is from Kramsch, Claire (1998). Language and culture. Oxford: Oxford University Press.

The encoding of experience differs [...] in the nature of the cultural associations evoked by different linguistic signs. [...] Studies of the
of bilingual speakers makes these associations particularly visible. For example, bilingual speakers of English and Spanish have been shown to activate different associations within one of their languages and across their two languages. In English they would associate 'house' with 'window', and 'boy' with 'girl', but in Spanish they may associate
casa
with
madre
, and
muchacho
with
hombre
. But even within the same
, signs might have different semantic values for people from different

Anyway, there are different kind of Chinese poems, and they connote different ideas. For me, the English word "poem" connotes "spoony bard", 詩 connotes Tang poetry, 詞 connotes Song poetry. It isn't necessarily deeper for any culture, but some cultures may be tied closer to literature than others. China has a relatively strong literary culture.

• Like 2

The word doesn't really mean much on its own, but it would hold lots of other meanings if it was say, in a name or something. In my opinion, the character 诗 in a name would suggest that the person is sophisticated, cultured, educated/academic, refined, quiet and reserved (but in a good way) and maybe even wise if you really look into it. Overall, it generally embodies positive connotations but I think it's mainly used in girl's names. :D

• 3 months later...
For me, the English word "poem" connotes "spoony bard", 詩 connotes Tang poetry, 詞 connotes Song poetry.

You lost me on this, because there are also 詩's from Song Dynasty, and 詞's from Tang Dynasty. 詩 and 詞 pertain to style/genre, not to one period in history or another.