Chinese-Forums

起来了

chinadude2006

现在我也喜欢起古诗来了 - I understand this as meaning "Now I also like ancient poetry" but I can understand the structure 起....来了 - is it like starting an action? - so then the sentence should probably be "Now I have started to like ancient poetry"

Where did you get this sentence from? It sounds a bit off to me, I'd rather say 现在我也开始喜欢古诗了。 But then again, I'm not a native speaker. Basically, verb+起来 means 开始+verb, although I don't think they can be always used interchangeably. Your sentence should translate as "Now I've also started to like ancient poetry.", with an emphasis on the fact that you didn't like/were indifferent to it hitherto.

After a quick search on Google (substituting the object for 文学), it seems that the construction "Verb + 起 + Object + 来 (+ 了)" is indeed possible:

从那个时候,我喜欢起文学来。

所以逐渐喜欢起文学来,我看了好多人的书...

一段时间后,我开始喜欢起文学来了,竟也会无事动笔了。

从这时起,我开始喜欢起文学来了,渴望成为一个文学家。

It is even possible to combine it with 开始, in which case we get two "markers of starting the action"... which seems quite redundant to me, but if that's how native speakers use it, then who I am to judge?